Name: Eltroxin 100mcg Tablet
Manufacturer: Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
MRP: Rs. 116.55
Unit Price: Rs. 1.17
Package Price: Rs. 116.55 (Qty.: 100)
Package Form: bottle
Medicine Form: tablet
What is Eltroxin?
Eltroxin is a medicine which helps to regulate the functions of thyroid gland by controlling the disturbed levels of thyroid hormones.
Composition of Eltroxin:
Eltroxin is artificially synthesized Thyroxine which is a vital hormone of the thyroid gland. When the thyroid gland dysfunctions, Eltroxin acts as a replacement for the reduced levels of thyroxine.
What is Eltroxin Used for?
Eltroxin is indicated in the following medical conditions:
- Post-operative treatment after thyroid removal surgery
Patients should not start a course of Eltroxin without consulting with an endocrinologist.
Side Effects of Eltroxin:
The dose of Eltroxin has to be monitored very carefully, since over dose could lead to health complications. Wrong consumption of Eltroxin could lead to development of following side effects:
- Weight loss
- Hot flashes
- Loss of sleep
- Increased hunger
Any sensation of discomfort felt after using Eltroxin should be reported to an endocrinologist immediately to avoid health complications.
Precautions for Eltroxin Consumption:
Certain precautions should be followed by those who are on a course of Eltroxin. Following these instructions is helpful in maintaining good health and avoiding side effects of the medicine.
- Patients should take Eltroxin only if it has been prescribed by an Endocrinologist, and dose should be maintained only as per the prescription.
- Blood tests should be done at regular intervals to monitor the levels of thyroid hormones.
- This medicine is used only in adults and not in pediatric patients.
- Patients who are taking this medicine as part of post-thyroidectomy treatment, should get regular scans of their neck region done.
- Allied symptoms of hypothyroidism require treatment as well, and patients are advised to take proper treatment for complete and permanent cure from hypothyroidism.
- Women who are planning to conceive or those who are pregnant should inform their endocrinologist before starting a course of Eltroxin.
- Dose of Eltroxin varies with a person's age and severity of hypothyroidism.
These do's and dont's help in maximizing the therapeutic effect of Eltroxin. Patients must follow these and any other instructions the doctor might give about using Eltroxin.
Other medicines which are composed of artificially synthesized Thyroxine are mentioned below. They have similar therapeutic action to Eltroxin and can be used as substitutes for the drug.
- Thyrocare Tablet
- Thyrobest Tablet
- Lethyrox Tablet
- Uthyrox Tablet
None of these medicines should be consumed without consulting with an Endocrinologist.
- Do all thyroid gland disorders respond to treatment with Eltroxin?
Eltroxin can be used successfully only in the treatment of hypothyroidism. Other thyroid disorders like hyperthyroidism, Grave's disease, cancer of thyroid gland will require other medicines or surgery for getting cured.
- Is Eltroxine alone sufficient for treatment of hypothyroidism?
Along with medical treatment, patients suffering from hypothyroidism should also indulge into adequate physical activity to keep their weight under control. A healthy diet should be followed which provides the required amount of nutrition necessary for health of thyroid gland.