Name: Keflex 500mg Capsule
Manufacturer: Eli Lilly and Company India Pvt Ltd
MRP: Rs. 134.60
Unit Price: Rs. 13.46
Package Price: Rs. 134.60 (Qty.: 10)
Package Form: strip
Medicine Form: capsule
What is Keflex?
Keflex is a antibiotic medicine used to treat bacterial infections. The medicine cannot be used for treatment of fungal, viral or parasitic infections. Only certain types of bacterial infections respond to the therapeutic action of Keflex.
Composition of Keflex:
The active ingredient of Keflex is Cefalexin, which belongs to the class of Cephalosporins. Cefalexin exerts its anti-bacterial action through the medium of excipients, which are neutral and do not interfere with the drug action.
What is Keflex Used for?
Keflex is indicated in the treatment of the following infections:
- Bacterial dermatitis
- Otitis media
It should be noted that the above mentioned disorders can be treated using Keflex only if they are bacterial in origin. Keflex might also be prescribed for other infectious disorders, if the physician sees fit.
Side Effects of Keflex:
Keflex is a potent anti-bacterial medicine. Therefore, it is likely to cause some side effects if used in the wrong manner or if used without any indication. Some of the side effects of Keflex are as follows:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Allergic response to the drug could cause hives, redness of skin, rash etc.
The physician has to be informed immediately should any of the above mentioned, or other side effects develop after using Keflex. Timely onset of treatment will lead to early recovery from the side effects.
Precautions for Keflex Consumption:
Keflex is a potent antibiotic and should be consumed with great precaution. Some of the important things to be remembered by patients who are on a course of Keflex are mentioned below:
- Keflex is a potent antibiotic and should be used only when indicated. The dose should not be altered unless the doctor advises to do so.
- The dose of Keflex for children and adults is different. Children should be given the medicine only after consulting with a pediatrician.
- Patients with liver dysfunction should consume Keflex with great caution as it may lead to harmful side effects.
- Keflex does not treat every type of bacterial infection and therefore should be used only if prescribed.
- If patients are consuming blood thinning medicines, Keflex should be taken with great precaution. The medicine could further increase the effect of blood thinners and induce bleeding tendency.
- Pregnant women should take Kelfex only after consulting with their gynecologist.
- Patients with history of diabetes, asthma, elevated blood pressure should inform doctors about their health condition before beginning a course of Keflex.
Medicines with similar drug composition and therapeutic action can be used as substitutes to each other. But this should be done only if the doctor advises to do so. A list of medicines which can be used as substitute to Keflex have been mentioned below:
- Sephlex Tablet
- Cephadex Tablet
- Sporidex Tablet
- Phexin Tablet
- How should Keflex Tablet be consumed?
Keflex tablet should be consumed by swallowing whole. It should not be crushed, chewed or dissolved in water. The medicine should preferably be consumed after food.
- What should be done if a dose of Keflex is missed?
If one dose of Keflex is missed, it can be taken whenever remembered. But the next dose should not be doubled to compensate for a previously missed dose.