Name: Onglyza 5mg Tablet
Manufacturer: Astra Zeneca
MRP: Rs. 1210.00
Unit Price: Rs. 43.21
Package Price: Rs. 1210.00 (Qty.: 28)
Package Form: strip
Medicine Form: tablet
What is Onglyza?
Onglyza is a medicine which has anti-diabetic effect and helps in controlling blood sugar levels. The medicine has properties which help to regulate secretion of insulin during digestion of sugars. Insulin helps in lowering blood sugar levels which is necessary for diabetic patients.
Composition of Onglyza:
Each tablet of Onglyza 5 mg consists of 5 mg of Saxagliptin Hydrochloride as the main active ingredient which has therapeutic effect of regulating insulin levels. Other inactive ingredients are added which act as a medium of action for Saxagliptin Hydrochloride.
What is Onglyza Used for?
The therapeutic capability of Onglyza has been described earlier. Onglyza is prescribed to patients with the following disorders:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Gestational diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome
The drug may suffice alone or may be used in combination with other anti-diabetic drugs. Consumption of Onglyza should be started only with a doctor's prescription and advise.
Side Effects of Onglyza:
Every medicine is bound to have some side effects on patients if taken in a wrong manner or if patients do not respond well to all components of the medicine. Every patient who is on Onglyza, does not develop side effects towards it. But is advisable for all patients to be aware of the side effects. Some of these undesirable effects are mentioned below:
- Cold sweating associated with dizziness
- Abnormally increased hunger
- Confused state of mind
- Tingling of hands and feet
- Nausea and vomiting
If patients experience any of these side effects on consumption of Onglyza, they should inform their doctor immediately. The dose of medicine might be altered for a few days, or the medicine may be discontinued completely. Doctors may change the medicine and use some other anti-diabetic instead.
Precautions for Onglyza Consumption:
Onglyza is a potent anti-diabetic and a strong medicine. Some instructions regarding therapeutic action of Onglyza consumption are given below:
- Onglyza is part of the treatment of diabetes. It should be accompanied with good amount of exercise and a healthy diet for its effect to be maximized.
- Onglyza does not act well if alcohol is consumed by patients who are on this medicine. Patients are advised to avoid alcohol while on Onglyza.
- In case of diabetic ketoacidosis, Onglyza will not show help. Patients should not indulge into an overdose of the medicine in emergency cases.
- A healthy diet and regular physical exercise should be followed by all diabetic patients. In addition to Onglyza, diet and exercise should be regularly monitored to get the condition under control.
- Onglyza is not to be used as a substitute to insulin. Whenever insulin is needed, it should be administered without using any alternative substances.
- Inform your doctor before taking Onglyza if you have history of kidney or liver impairment. Onglyza is given in extremely controlled doses to patients with such disorders.
Other anti-diabetic agents which have similar chemical composition to Onglyza can be used in its place if the doctor allows it. Some of the substitutes for Onglyza are mentioned below:
- Glyza Tablet
- Kombiglyze XR Tablet
- Januvia Tablet
- Janumet Tablet
- Tradjenta Tablet
- In which form in Onglyza available?
Onglyza is sold in the form of oral tablets. Tablets should not be chewed or crushed but consumed whole with water.
- Is Onglyza useful for treating type 1 Diabetes?
Onglyza does not help to control Diabetes Insipidus (Type 1 Diabetes). This type of diabetes is treated by administering insulin in various forms.
- Will Onglyza help to control complications of Diabetes?
Onglyza will help to prevent development of complications of diabetes by controlling blood sugar levels. But other medications may be needed to treat the complication itself. But patients should not start the medicine on their own without a doctor's advise.
- Is Onglyza safe during pregnancy/breastfeeding?
Though there is no known harm to the mother or child if Onglyza is consumed, the dosage is kept limited and strictly as per patient's need, if the patient is pregnant or breastfeeding her baby.