Name: Tobrex 0.3% Eye Drop
Manufacturer: Alcon Laboratories
MRP: Rs. 93.00
Unit Price: Rs. 18.60
Package Price: Rs. 93.00 (Qty.: 1)
Package Form: packet
Medicine Form: ML of eye drop
What is Tobrex?
Tobrex is an antibiotic medicine used for treating bacterial infections of the eye. The medicine is available in the form of eye drops and meant for external use only.
Composition of Tobrex:
The active ingredient of Tobrex is an antibiotic known as Tobramycin. It prevents the bacteria to form a protective covering of their own which leads to their destruction. Tobramycin acts through the medium of other ingredients of the medicine which are neutral and do not interfere with the drug action.
What is Tobrex used for?
The medical indications of Tobrex are as follows:
- Bacterial keratitis
- Bacterial conjunctivitis
It should be noted that Tobrex may be prescribed for other eye infections as well, depending on the patient's symptoms and general health.
Side Effects of Tobrex:
Overuse or wrong use of Tobrex could lead to the development of following side effects in some cases:
- Itching and redness of eyes
- Dry eyes
- Swelling of margins of eyelids
- Increased sensitivity to light
All side effects are not observed in each patient who uses Tobrex. However, knowledge of these side effects helps patients in monitoring their own health and seeking prompt treatment for any discomfort.
Precautions for Tobrex Administration:
The same property of a drug which is therapeutic towards certain health conditions, becomes harmful when that drug is used in a state of good health. Hence, certain precautions are to be followed while using Tobrex eye drops. Some of these precautions are mentioned below:
- Tobrex is meant for external use only. The medicine should not be consumed orally as this will cause adverse effects on health.
- Tobrex eye drops should be used as per an ophthalmologist's instructions and in the prescribed dose only.
- Patients who are on a course of Tobrex eye drops should avoid applying eye make up till the ophthalmologist does not allow the same.
- Patients who wear contact lenses, should avoid using them while administering Tobrex eye drops.
- While administering Tobrex eye drops, care should be taken to avoid touching the tip of the dropper to the eye.
- One bottle of Tobrex eye drops should not be shared between 2 or more people. This is necessary to avoid spread of eye infections.
Given below are the names of some medicines which have chemical composition and Therapeutic action similar to Tobrex:
- Nayantob D Eyedrops
- Nebracin Eyedrops
- Tobaren Eyedrops
- Toby Eyedrops
These eye drops may be prescribed in place of Tobrex if the latter is causing symptoms of discomfort or is unsuitable for the patient.
- Can Tobrex be used to treat all types of eye infections?
Tobrex is useful only in the treatment of bacterial infections of eye. Infections of fungal or viral origin will not respond to the medicine.
- Which set of patients is prohibited from using Tobrex eye drops?
Patients who are known to develop allergy to Tobramycin are never prescribed Tobrex or any other eye drops containing Tobramycin.