Also called an appendectomy, appendix removal surgery is the only method to treat acute appendicitis. Generally, appendicitis is a medical emergency and requires immediate surgery to remove the inflamed appendix before it bursts. In the cases of chronic appendicitis, the surgery is elective, and there are minimal chances of complications.
Before the technological advancements, the surgery required 2-4 days of hospitalization. But now, with the laparoscopic technique, the surgery can be performed on an outpatient basis, which reduces the expense. For both acute and chronic appendicitis, appendix removal surgery is covered by health insurance. Hence, you can use the policy to pay for the treatment if you have health insurance.
Factors That Affect The Cost of Appendix Surgery in India
Appendix surgery cost in India differs considerably for each patient due to the following factors-
- The Severity of the Condition- Appendicitis has five grades based on the severity of the condition. In the initial stages, only infection is present in the organ. As the condition worsens, the tissues start to die, and the infection spreads to the intestine. In the earlier stages, it is easier to remove the appendix. But in the later stages, it is very difficult to control the infection and remove the appendix without complications. Thus, in severe cases, appendix operation cost increases.
- City Where You’re Getting Treatment- The cost of living in each city across India is very different. Typically, medical care is costlier in metropolitan cities. For instance, the cost of living in Delhi is higher than in Jaipur, and hence medical care too.
- Method of Treatment- An appendectomy can be performed through open and laparoscopic techniques. While people expect laparoscopic surgery to be more expensive, it actually costs less as the duration of hospitalization is reduced to one day only.
- Choice of Hospital & Hospitalization Expense- It is very well known that the cost of medical care in private medical facilities is higher than in government-run facilities. Moreover, the amenities at the private facilities are also better. Thus, they charge more for medical care. Besides the hospital administration cost, the patient also has to bear admission fees, discharge fees, room rent, ICU, OT, nursing fees, medical consumables, etc.
- Surgeon’s & Anesthetist’s Fee- Another major factor that influences the cost of surgery is the surgeon’s operating fee. A highly experienced surgeon is likely to charge more as he/she will have better knowledge and superior skills to perform the surgery, mitigate the risks, and improve the success rate.
Other than the factors mentioned above, other things, such as diagnostic tests, prescribed medications, post-surgery care, follow-up consultations, etc., will also add up to the expense.
If you have insurance, you can easily get a claim for appendix surgery and get the best treatment without worrying about the cost.