Factors That Affect the Cost of Hair Transplant in India
The major factors that impact the cost of hair transplant are explained below -
- Technique Used for Hair Transplant - The technology used for hair transplantation is a key factor in determining the cost. The different techniques that are popular nowadays are-
|Direct hair transplant (DHT)
||Rs. 30 to Rs. 220 per graft
|Follicular unit extraction (FUE)
||Rs. 25 to Rs. 200 per graft
|Follicular unit transplantation (FUT)
||Rs. 20 to Rs. 180 per graft
- The Number of Grafts - The number of grafts implanted in the bald area has a huge impact on the overall cost. Each graft contains 2-3 follicles, and each follicle usually contains 1-3 hairs. If you have severe baldness, you are likely to need more grafts to cover the area, especially if the hair is thin and silky. Thus, the treatment expense will increase with the number of grafts transplanted.
- Stage of Baldness - Identifying the stage or degree of baldness is critical to determine the expense of the treatment. If your hair loss is not severe, you are likely to need a lesser number of grafts. However, if the baldness is severe, you will need more grafts. Thus, you will have to spend more on the treatment.
- Means of Extraction - Traditionally, hair grafts were extracted manually by the doctor. Thanks to technological advancements, now the extraction can be done using robotic technology. Choosing the robotic extraction method will increase the cost of hair transplants.
- Doctor’s Experience - A highly experienced hair transplant surgeon will charge more to perform the surgery. With years of practice, the surgeon gains more knowledge and becomes skilled enough to carefully assess the patient’s condition and identify the potential risks and complications.
- Donor Area Quality and Health - The quality of the donor area of the graft is crucial. If the scalp is not good or there are not enough hairs in the donor region, the surgeon will have to extract grafts from other body parts. This includes using either beard or chest hair. It impacts the cost significantly.
- Number of Sessions - The patient’s health plays a major role as it decides whether the treatment will be successful or not. The scalp health and overall health are evaluated, which involves checking blood pressure and sugar levels. These factors will influence the number of sessions required to complete the transplantation. If multiple sessions or sittings are required, the cost of a hair transplant will go higher.
- Location Where You Are Getting Treatment - Hair transplant cost in India also depends on the location or the city where you are getting the treatment. If you choose a city where the cost of living is high, the surgery cost will also be higher. Moreover, the clinics and hospitals in such cities will have better infrastructure, amenities, and other facilities that make the treatment slightly costlier.
The cost of hair transplant in India is also mentioned based on the severity and no. of grafts. So, here is a chart to help you understand how many grafts a patient is likely to need for different grades of baldness.
- For 1st grade baldness, the patient is likely to need 700 to 1,200 grafts which will cost around Rs. 22,000 to Rs. 40,000.
- 2nd grade baldness will require around 1,500 to 1,800 grafts that will cost around Rs. 29,000 to Rs. 50,000.
- The 2A grade baldness can be covered with approximately 1,100 to 1,500 grafts whose cost will be around Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 50,000.
- 3A grade baldness requires up to 1,500 to 1,900 grafts that cost around Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 60,000.
- The 4th grade requires around 1,400 to 2,300 grafts whose cost ranges from Rs. 32,000 to Rs. 65,000.
- In 4A grade baldness, 1,800 to 2,500 grafts are used which cost around Rs. 45,000 to Rs. 70,000.
- For 5th grade baldness, 2,000 to 2,500 grafts are transplanted which cost around Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 80,000.
- In 5A grade, around 2,200 to 2,800 grafts will be used that will cost around Rs. 55,000 to Rs. 1,00,000.
- In 6th grade, around 2,400 to 3,000 grafts are transplanted that cost around Rs. 58,000 to Rs. 1,30,000.
- For 7th grade baldness, around 2,500 to 3,200 grafts are used which increases the cost up to Rs. 70,000 to Rs. 1,75,000.
Based on the number of grafts and the technique chosen for transplant, multiple sessions may also be required for the treatment. Here is a breakdown of the number of sessions required for different number of grafts.
- In FUT, if the patient is getting 500 to 2,500 grafts, the treatment can be completed in one session. The cost of each graft will be Rs. 37 to Rs. 45.
- In FUE, the patient can get 500 to 3,500 grafts in one session and the cost of each graft would be between Rs. 36 to Rs. 45.
- In case up to 3,500 to 6,000 grafts are transplanted using FUT technique, the patient will require two sessions and the each graft would cost around Rs. 30 to Rs. 45.
- In FUE, the patient will require more than one session when the number of grafts ranges from 4,500 to 6000. As the number of grafts is more, each graft will cost around Rs. 30 to Rs. 45.
FAQs About Hair Transplant Cost
How much do 4000 hair grafts cost in India?
The cost of 4,000 hair grafts in India ranges from Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs. 1,80,000 approximately. The actual cost will vary primarily due to the technique used and other factors, such as the severity of baldness, the number of sessions, etc.
How much do 500 hair grafts cost in India?
The cost of 500 hair grafts will be around Rs. 12,500 to Rs. 22,500, approximately. The cost will vary for each patient. Therefore, it is advised that you talk to hair transplant experts and get an estimate from them.
Does health insurance cover the cost of hair transplant surgery?
No, As hair transplant surgery is a cosmetic procedure, it is not covered under health insurance. You will have to pay the expense from your own pocket.