Knee replacement surgery is generally performed for patients with severe knee joint degeneration, due to arthritis - osteoarthritis (OA) or rheumatoid arthritis (RA) - or trauma. Most orthopedic surgeons recommend the knee transplant operation to patients who have become bedridden and lost complete joint mobility and stability.
Factors that Affect Knee Replacement Surgery Cost in India
- Choice of treatment hospital affects the knee replacement cost majorly, as it includes the cost of hospital room, operation theater, surgical devices, anesthesia, anesthesiologist, etc. We have a list of the best knee replacement hospitals in India where you can get advanced and affordable knee replacement.
- Surgeon's experience and fees are important factors to consider before getting the surgery. An experienced surgeon has a higher chance of providing the surgery without any complications. You can find a list of the best knee replacement surgeons in India here if you need knee replacement.
- Type of transplant surgery also affects the knee operation cost. Arthroscopic surgery is minimally invasive and provides much quicker recovery, better joint function and has a shorter physiotherapy period. Open knee transplant surgery is generally not preferred as it has severe scarring and higher chances of complications. Other than this, knee replacement can also be classified as - partial knee replacement and total knee replacement - based on the amount of knee joint being replaced and the type of implant being used.
- Diagnostic test cost also contributes to the overall knee operation cost. Before getting knee replacement, diagnostic tests are necessary to determine the extent of the joint degeneration, severity of the joint dysfunction, etc.
- Type of knee implant used for the surgery also impacts the cost of the surgery and recuperative ability after the surgery. Knee implant cost depends on the material implant is made from, implant design and structure, etc.
- Postoperative care after knee replacement surgery includes physiotherapy, medications, assistive devices, and recurring consultation with an orthopedist to ensure recovery is ongoing without any complications. Cost of postoperative care depends on the duration of the physiotherapy, type of medication and assistive devices required, etc.
FAQs About Knee Replacement Cost
Is knee replacement covered by insurance?
Yes, Knee replacement is covered by most insurance providers, especially if it's impinging on the patient’s daily lives and hindering them from performing even routine functions like walking and driving. However, some insurance policies do not cover physiotherapy following the procedure. If you’re unsure about the exact coverage of the policy, you can consult your insurance providers for further clearance.
Is a knee replacement worth it?
Knee replacement is the only effective treatment for knee joint arthritis in the long term. It restores complete joint mobility to the patients and gives them a new lease on life. Most patients consider knee replacement to be completely worth it, however, the opinion may differ from person to person.