Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that is performed using a small camera, also called a scope for treatment of orthopedic conditions. The surgery involves smaller incisions to access the affected area in order to restore the normal function of that specific area.
Different arthroscopic treatments involving the joints are:
- Arthroscopic shoulder surgeries like bankart repair surgery, rotator cuff repair surgery, shoulder replacement, shoulder tendon or ligament repair, SLAP repair, shoulder dislocation treatment, etc.
- Arthroscopic hip surgeries like hip arthroscopy, hip replacement, etc.
- Arthroscopic spine surgeries like laminectomy, discectomy, fusion surgery, disc replacement, etc.
- Arthroscopic knee surgeries like ACL tear surgery, knee arthroscopy, knee replacement surgery, meniscus surgery, etc.
There are various other arthroscopic treatments performed for other joints like elbow joint, wrist joint, ankle, etc., for a variety of orthopedic issues.
Factors that affect the cost of arthroscopic surgery in India
If you have an orthopedic issue, arthroscopic surgery is a much better alternative than traditional open surgery, as it involves quicker recovery, tinier incisions, fewer chances of complications, and minimal scarring. You should consider the following factors while calculating the cost of your arthroscopic surgery:
- Type and severity of the injury- The first thing to consider is the severity of the issue, its cause, and where it is. Arthroscopy is much more common for issues in weight bearing joints like knee, hip, shoulder, etc. Moreover, severe damage or degeneration of the joint needs more complex treatments which cost more, as compared to treatment of mild to moderate issues.
- Consultation and surgery fees- The orthopedic surgeon's fees for the surgery, pre and post operative checkups, etc., depends on their specialization, expertise and experience. You should choose an expert surgeon for your arthroscopic surgery to ensure minimal chances of complications.
- Patient’s age, gender, and health condition- Patient’s general condition reflects their requirement of joint movement and function after the surgery. They also help determine the type of surgery to be performed and help prepare for possible complications during or after the surgery, due to preexisting health conditions of the patient.
- Diagnostic tests required- There are several diagnostic and imaging tests required before the surgery to determine the severity of the condition and formulate the treatment plan. Common imaging tests required for arthroscopic surgery are X-ray, CT scan, MRI scan, Ultrasound, etc.
- Choice of hospital and hospitalization cost- Choice of treatment hospital is an important factor to consider before getting surgery. Hospitalization costs include hospital room rent and other amenities provided by the hospital during hospitalization. It depends on the duration of the hospital stay, anesthesia cost and anesthetist fees, type of hospital room, cost of OT rent, medication and surgical devices required for the surgery, etc.
- Cost of postoperative care and followup treatment required- Proper follow-up and rehabilitation is necessary for a speedy recovery. The rehabilitation period and physiotherapy schedule depend on the patient’s needs, the extent of damage, choice of surgery, etc.
- Insurance coverage- Most insurance policies cover arthroscopic surgery, especially when it is medically necessary for complete movement recovery. However, the extent of the coverage depends on each policy individually.
If you need arthroscopic surgery and are anxious regarding the surgical cost, you can contact us for accurate cost estimates and advanced surgical treatment.