Gallstones Surgery Cost in india
Some people develop just a single gallstone whereas others develop multiple gallstones. If we talk about the gallbladder, a gallbladder is a small, pear-shaped organ located in the right side of your abdomen just beneath the liver. The main function of a gallbladder is to store a digestive fluid called bile. When the gallbladder stops functioning normally, small, hard particles called gallstones start forming. Gallstones are usually asymptomatic and do not require surgery but they can become symptomatic in which case a surgical intervention is recommended as they do not go away on their own.
Methods and Costs of Gallstone Removal Surgery in India:
The standard procedure involves the removal of the gallbladder completely to eliminate the chances of recurrence. During diagnosis, the doctor also checks if stones are stuck in the pancreas, bile duct, or other organs. There are primarily 3 ways to remove the gallbladder - Open Cholecystectomy, Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy and Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography.
It is the conventional technique to remove gallstones. The average cost of a Open gallstone surgery cost starts from Rs. 45,000 to Rs. 1,00,000 approximately.
The procedure of open surgery or open cholecystectomy is a more conventional form of gallstone removal in which the gallbladder is removed entirely to eliminate any possibility of gallstone recurrence. The surgeon will administer general anaesthetic and make a 6-7 inch incision near the abdomen on the right side of your body. To get a better view of the gallbladder, the surgeon will pull back the muscle and tissue and then surgically remove the gallbladder along with the gallstones. The surgeon will check if there is presence of gallstones in the pancreas or bile duct and remove them as well. The incision will then be sutured and you will be moved to a recovery area. Gallstones that are stuck in other organs are also removed and the incision is closed with stitches. It is an invasive procedure, thus the patient has to stay in the hospital for at least 1-2 days. The recovery also takes longer, around 3-4 weeks.
A laparoscopic cholecystectomy is a modern procedure to remove the gallbladder. The procedure does not require a large incision but instead 4 small incisions are made near the abdomen on the right side of your body. The surgeon will then insert a thin wire with a small camera on top through one of the incisions to get a live feed of your gallbladder on a monitor. The surgeon will then use this live feed to insert special surgical tools through the incisions and remove the gallbladder along with all the gallstones. The incisions do not need to be sutured and are allowed to heal on their own. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy is a minimally invasive procedure, hospitalization is usually not required and the patient gets discharged on the same day. The recovery is also faster than open surgery, i.e., around 1-2 weeks. The average cost of a laparoscopic cholecystectomy in India starts from Rs. 80,000 and can go as high as Rs. 1,60,000 but the exact cost will depend on a multitude of factors.
Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
Usually, ERCP is performed as a diagnostic test to identify the precise location of the gallstones within the digestive tract. But the endoscope can also be used to break down the stones and remove them at the same time.
If ERCP is used, the treatment is usually not considered a surgery. Gallstone treatment cost with ERCP ranges from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 55,000 approximately and hospitalization is also not needed after the procedure.
Factors that Affect Gallstone Removal Surgery Cost in India:
The exact cost of a gallstone removal surgery is something that depends on a multitude of factors. Some of the most common factors are given below:
- Choice of hospital: A private hospital with more modern facilities, equipment, technology, environment and amenities will naturally cost more than a government owned hospital that is slightly inferior in these regards but is more affordable.
- Location of surgery: The location of your surgery is one of the most common factors when it comes to determining the cost of any surgery. Surgeries of any kind are more expensive in the major cities across India as compared to rural cities or towns.
- Method of Surgery performed: A laparoscopic cholecystectomy is a more modern and less invasive procedure than an open gallstone surgery which also has a longer recovery time. Hence, it also costs more than an open surgery. Although the method of surgery is chosen by the surgeon based on what’s best for you, most patients opt for laparoscopic cholecystectomy over an open surgery.
- Post surgery care: The expenses related to post surgery care often depends on the hospital you choose. Post surgery care usually involves pain management, wound care and medications. It is important to inquire about these additional expenses beforehand.
FAQs About Gallstone Removal Surgery Cost
What are the common tests required to diagnose gallstones?
Several tests are performed to diagnose gallstones accurately-
- Abdominal ultrasound- Rs. 350 to Rs. 500
- Endoscopic ultrasound- Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 3,000
- Oral cholecystography- Rs. 500 to Rs. 2,000
- Hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid scan (HIPA)- Rs. 4,000 to Rs. 4,500
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP)- Rs. 2,500 to Rs. 4,000
Does Gallstone Surgery Cost Covers Under Insurance?
For a middle-class person, the gallstone treatment cost can be very expensive. The good thing is that the entire cost of gallstone surgery can be covered by the health insurance policy. Without timely treatment, gallbladder stones can lead to several complications. Thus, the treatment is considered medically necessary and covered under all plans offered by insurance companies.
Book an appointment with the best gallstone surgeon in India and talk to them to get a clear understanding of the gallstone treatment and its costs.