Types of Hysterectomy Procedures & Their Cost in Chennai
Cost of uterus removal surgery based on the on the removal of the uterus and other organs involved:
- Total or Simple Hysterectomy: In a total or simple hysterectomy, the entire uterus and cervix are surgically removed. Depending on the case, the doctor may also choose to remove the ovaries and fallopian tubes. The cost of total hysterectomy in Chennai typically ranges from Rs. 70,000 to Rs. 1,20,000.
- Subtotal or Partial Hysterectomy: Also referred to as supracervical hysterectomy, this procedure involves the removal of the uterus while leaving the cervix intact. In Chennai, the cost of a partial hysterectomy ranges from Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 1,30,000.
- Radical Hysterectomy: The radical hysterectomy procedure includes the removal of the uterus, cervix, a portion of the vagina, as well as the surrounding ligaments and tissues. Depending on the specific case, the surgeon may also decide to remove the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and nearby lymph nodes. The cost of a radical hysterectomy in Chennai varies from Rs. 80,000 to Rs. 2,60,000.
- Hysterectomy with Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy: In this method, the surgeon removes both the ovaries and fallopian tubes. The estimated cost of this type of uterus removal surgery in Chennai is Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 1,30,000.
Here's the cost of hysterectomy based on the technique used for uterus removal:
- Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: Laparoscopic hysterectomy is a minimally- invasive surgical technique where small incisions are made in the abdomen to insert a laparoscope and other surgical instruments, for uterus removal. The cost of laparoscopic hysterectomy in Chennai is Rs.70,000 to Rs.1,20,000.
- Robotic Hysterectomy: Robotic hysterectomy is another minimally invasive technique which involves the use of robotic arms to remove the uterus. The surgeon operates the robotic arms from a console. This advanced procedure will cost you anywhere between Rs.80,000 and Rs..2,50,000.
- Open Hysterectomy: Open hysterectomy is the traditional surgical method involving the removal of uterus through a large incision in the abdomen. This conventional method of uterus removal will cost you between Rs.60,000 and Rs. 1,20,000.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Hysterectomy in Chennai
The total cost of uterus removal surgery in Chennai is influenced by various factors. The healthcare facilities consider these factors when determining the treatment cost. These factors are crucial in finalizing the overall expenses associated with uterus removal surgery. Some important factors taken into account when determining the cost of hysterectomy in Chennai are as follows:
- Choice of treatment hospital: The type of hospital you choose significantly affects the cost. Private hospitals typically charge higher fees compared to government hospitals. The difference is often due to the quality of services provided by private hospitals and the additional costs associated with their facilities.
- Doctor's fees and experience: The experience and expertise of the doctor performing the uterus removal procedure can influence the cost. Experienced doctors may charge higher fees for their services. It is also important to clarify any additional charges for follow-up sessions with the doctor.
- Cost of diagnostic tests: The cost of pre-surgery diagnostic tests can impact the total treatment cost. It is advisable to discuss these expenses with the healthcare provider before undergoing surgery to avoid any unexpected financial burden.
- Technology or technique used: The type of technology or equipment employed for uterus removal can affect the overall cost. Advanced technology used in robotic and laparoscopic hysterectomy procedures may be associated with higher expenses.
Cost of Diagnostic Tests Before Hysterectomy in Chennai
Several diagnostic tests are recommended before a uterus removal surgery. The cost of these tests can differ depending on where you get them done from, their insurance coverage, etc. In addition, the number of tests required and the type of technology used in the tests can also impact the cost. Let's look at some commonly performed diagnostic tests before a hysterectomy and their respective costs:
- Imaging examination: Before hysterectomy, certain imaging tests including ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), or computed tomography (CT) scans may be recommended. These tests provide detailed images of the uterus, ovaries, and surrounding structures, aiding in detecting tumors, fibroids, or other irregularities. The cost of these tests are as follows:
- Ultrasound: Rs.800 to Rs. 3,000
- Magnetic resonance imaging(MRI): Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 15,000
- Computed tomography (CT scan): Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 15,000
- Laboratory Tests: Laboratory tests such as blood and urine tests are performed to check hormone levels, look for infections, and evaluate the patient's overall health before a hysterectomy. These tests will cost you anywhere between Rs. 200 and Rs. 2,000.
- Biopsy: In a biopsy, a small sample of tissue from the uterus or cervix is extracted and examined under a microscope to rule out cancer or other abnormalities. The cost of biopsy before hysterectomy in Chennai is between Rs.20,000 and Rs.22,000.
- Diagnostic procedure: The doctors recommend procedures like hysteroscopy or laparoscopy to diagnose conditions like endometriosis, fibroids, or polyps and determine the underlying cause more accurately. The cost of these diagnostic procedures is as follows:
- Hysteroscopy: Rs.5,000 to Rs.50,000
- Laparoscopy: Rs.20,000 to Rs.50,000
It is best to get the cost estimate from the respective lab or diagnostic clinic before getting the tests done to be financially prepared. The cost of diagnostic tests can also differ depending on the healthcare facility you choose.
Insurance Coverage for Hysterectomy in Chennai
Hysterectomy surgery, regardless of the type of surgery required, is typically covered by most insurance companies in India. This procedure is recommended when conservative methods fail to resolve uterine issues and there is a potential risk to the patient's overall well-being. Since the procedure is considered medically necessary due to potential risk to the patient's health, the patients scheduled to undergo this surgery are eligible to file for insurance claims.
It is important to note that the extent of insurance coverage for hysterectomy surgery may vary based on the terms and conditions of different insurance companies. The claimable amount is subject to differ depending on terms and conditions outlined in the specific policy. Therefore, it is essential for patients to gain a comprehensive understanding of the coverage provided by their insurance provider before they undergo surgery.