IUI Procedure and its Cost:
IUI procedures begin with a series of tests and diagnostics performed by your fertility specialist to determine the best time period for you to undergo an IUI treatment. Typically, IUI procedures are performed during a woman’s ovulation cycle and hence do not require any medications but your specialist may prescribe you some fertility medications such as clomid. Once your ovulation window is determined, a sperm sample provided by your partner or a donor is prepared for a procedure called sperm wash in which individual sperms are separated from the semen. The doctor will then ask you to put your legs on stirrups and insert a speculum into your vagina. Washed and concentrated sperm will then be put on a long, flexible tube called a catheter and inserted through the cervix into the uterus. Once the catheter is in place, the doctor will inject the sperm. After the procedure is complete, the catheter is removed followed by the speculum. The entire procedure takes around 15-20 minutes and you can carry on with your daily activities once completed.
As mentioned before, the exact cost however, will depend on a multitude of factors.
Factors that affect IUI Treatment Cost in India
The final cost of your IUI treatment will depend on a multitude of factors. Some of the most common factors that affect IUI treatment cost in India are given below:
- Number of IUI cycles required: It is to be kept in mind that IUI treatments are not always successful at first attempt. It is not uncommon for couples to undergo multiple IUI cycles before they can conceive. Depending on some factors like your overall health and age, your fertility specialist may suggest 3 or even 4 cycles of IUI before moving to IVF. The cost of IUI treatment is directly associated with the number of cycles. The more the number of cycles, the higher is the cost of IUI procedure. The number of IUI cycles required is impacted by the success of failure of the previous cycle, which highly depends upon the age of the woman. Age plays a significant role in determining the success of IUI cycles in every patient/ couple undergoing IUI treatment.
- Women aged between 20 to 30 years: 18 percent of pregnancy rate and 13 percent of delivery rate
- Women aged between 30 to 35 years: 14 percent of pregnancy rate and 10 percent of delivery rate
- Women aged between 36 to 38 years: 13 percent of pregnancy rate and 9 percent of delivery rate
- Women of 40 years of age: 11 percent of pregnancy rate and 7 percent of delivery rate
- Women over 40 years of age: 6 percent of pregnancy rate and 3 percent of delivery rate
- Consultation charges: IUI treatments require multiple consultations and visits with your fertility specialist before treatment. The number of consultations may add up and present a difference in the final cost of treatment.
- Pre-operative tests: Before the treatment, your fertility specialist will perform some general tests and diagnostics to not only avoid any unforeseen complications but also uncover any underlying medical conditions which may be causing infertility. The cost of these tests may add up and affect the final cost of treatment.
- Medicines for ovulation stimulation - Like other fertility treatments, IUI also begins with medications. The cost of oral medicines that are most commonly prescribed at the beginning of IUI treatment costs around INR 5,000 to INR 6,000. In the case of injections, the cost can go even higher. In order to properly stimulate the ovaries, you may need to spend INR 2,500 per cycle of medications.
- Choice of fertility clinic: Fertility clinics with more advanced facilities and amenities will also charge more as compared to clinics with inferior facilities and amenities.
- Post treatment medications: After your IUI treatment, not only will your fertility specialist keep a close eye on your overall health but they may also recommend some medications and changes in lifestyle to increase chances of successful conception. The cost of these consultations and medications may add up and present a difference in the final cost of treatment.
Is IUI treatment in India affordable?
IUI cost in India is quite affordable compared to other western countries. IUI cost in India may increase or decrease due to several factors like age of woman, type of infertility issue, genetics issues, etc. If performed under the guidance of a trained and experienced infertility specialist, IUI can offer a high success rate too.
What is the success rate of IUI treatment?
The success rate of IUI treatment, in most cases, directly depends on the blockage in the fallopian tube. Medical reports published in Webmd state that the success rate of IUI is 11.7 percent if the blockage is very close to the ovary. If the blockage is close to the uterus, the success of IUI treatment can go up to 38.1 percent.
Is the cost of IUI treatment the same for all cities in India?
No. The cost of IUI treatment not only differs on the basis of the above-mentioned factors but also the city and the hospital where you undergo the treatment. The cost of IUI treatment in a metropolitan and developed city is always higher compared to a developing city. Additionally, the hospital (whether it is a government, or private hospital, a super specialty or multispecialty hospital) also affects the cost of IUI treatment for every couple.