Intrauterine insemination or IUI is one of the common procedures to treat infertility. IUI can help couples struggling to get pregnant naturally, conceive a baby. Unlike other infertility treatments, IUI is less expensive and does not cost heavily on the pockets, which makes the treatment affordable for couples of all financial grounds.
The total cost of IUI in India including the ultrasound scans and other tests may range from INR 10,000 to INR 15,000.
A quick glance at the cost of IUI in different cities of India will help you get a better perspective:Here is a list of IUI Treatment Costs in various cities of India.
|City||Average Price||Price Range
|Bangalore||Rs. 15487||Rs. 10000 - 22258|
|Chennai||Rs. 17393||Rs. 12500 - 27000|
|Gurgaon||Rs. 12250||Rs. 12000 - 12500|
|Hyderabad||Rs. 18442||Rs. 12500 - 25000|
|Mumbai||Rs. 12700||Rs. 11500 - 14000|
|Noida||Rs. 25278||Rs. 10000 - 55000|
|Pune||Rs. 26919||Rs. 10000 - 55000|
You can consider the below-mentioned IUI cost break-up for a better understanding:
|IUI Treatment||Cost in INR|
|Drugs & medicines||7,000 - 8,000|
|IUI procedure||6,000 - 8,000|
|Total cost of IUI (average)||15,000|
The IUI cost mentioned above is not definite and it should be taken only for reference purposes. The actual cost may vary slightly depending on multiple factors which we will discuss below.
Factors that affect IUI cost in India
The cost of IUI treatment is not absolute for all and differs from one case to another depending upon the following factors:
- Number of IUI cycles - The cost of IUI treatment is directly associated with the number of cycles. The more the number of cycles, the higher is the cost of IUI procedure. The number of IUI cycles required is impacted by the success of failure of the previous cycle, which highly depends upon the age of the woman. Age plays a significant role in determining the success of IUI cycles in every patient/ couple undergoing IUI treatment.
- Women aged between 20 to 30 years: 18 percent of pregnancy rate and 13 percent of delivery rate
- Women aged between 30 to 35 years: 14 percent of pregnancy rate and 10 percent of delivery rate
- Women aged between 36 to 38 years: 13 percent of pregnancy rate and 9 percent of delivery rate
- Women of 40 years of age: 11 percent of pregnancy rate and 7 percent of delivery rate
- Women over 40 years of age: 6 percent of pregnancy rate and 3 percent of delivery rate
- Medicines for ovulation stimulation - Like other fertility treatments, IUI also begins with medications. The cost of oral medicines that are most commonly prescribed at the beginning of IUI treatment costs around INR 5,000 to INR 6,000. In the case of injections, the cost can go even higher. In order to properly stimulate the ovaries, you may need to spend INR 2,500 per cycle of medications.
- Follicle monitoring - IUI treatment requires thorough follicle monitoring. Depending on the number of times you may have to go for follicle monitoring and the location of the clinics, there will be an additional expense of INR 2,000 to INR 4,000.
What happens in IUI?
The IUI doctor would try to understand your health condition during the first consultation and provide you with the best medications and lifestyle habits to prepare your body for IUI treatment. If the diagnosis reports point towards any abnormalities with the woman's ovulation, the fertility doctor may recommend medication to amplify the production of the eggs. The fertility specialist would then follow your monthly cycle to determine the best time to begin the IUI treatment. Once a ripe egg is present, a patient is given a “trigger shot” that causes ovulation within about 36 hours.
For IUI treatment, the couple and the doctor may decide whether to use fresh sperm or frozen sperm. If the couple chooses to use fresh sperm, the male partner or the donor will need to produce it at the fertility clinic by masturbating. If the couple decides to use frozen sperm, they can get in touch with any infertility treatment labs nearby. Once the female ovulates and the sperm is washed out of all impurities and dirt, and the fertility doctor uses a thin, flexible catheter to implant the sperm into the female partner's uterus.
After two weeks of this procedure, the female needs to undergo a pregnancy test. If the pregnancy is not successful, the doctor might repeat the entire procedure or suggest another treatment line.
Is IUI treatment in India affordable?
IUI cost in India is quite affordable compared to other western countries. IUI cost in India may increase or decrease due to several factors like age of woman, type of infertility issue, genetics issues, etc. If performed under the guidance of a trained and experienced infertility specialist, IUI can offer a high success rate too.
What is the success rate of IUI treatment?
The success rate of IUI treatment, in most cases, directly depends on the blockage in the fallopian tube. Medical reports published in Webmd state that the success rate of IUI is 11.7 percent if the blockage is very close to the ovary. If the blockage is close to the uterus, the success of IUI treatment can go up to 38.1 percent.
Is the cost of IUI treatment the same for all cities in India?
No. The cost of IUI treatment not only differs on the basis of the above-mentioned factors but also the city and the hospital where you undergo the treatment. The cost of IUI treatment in a metropolitan and developed city is always higher compared to a developing city. Additionally, the hospital (whether it is a government, or private hospital, a super specialty or multispecialty hospital) also affects the cost of IUI treatment for every couple.