Labiaplasty Surgery Method
Labiaplasty is a minor surgery done to trim and reshape the enlarged labia that may otherwise be causing discomfort and pain. It can be performed under both- local or general anesthesia, in-clinic or at the hospital.
Once the vaginal area is numb under the effect of anesthesia, the doctor pulls up the labia through specialized medical equipment and makes the markings. The excess part is then removed through a laser or surgical blade. After removal, the ends are stitched together using very soft and minute sutures. The thread used is self dissolvable and recovery happens within 3 weeks.
In most cases, sex life can be resumed after 1-1.5 months.
Recovery After Labiaplasty Surgery
While you can resume some basic work after 2-3 days of surgery, complete recovery after labiaplasty may take an average of 2-3 weeks. As you recover, doctors suggest you follow the below-mentioned guidelines:
- Do not self-evaluate: Patients often tend to evaluate the operation area. However, as you bend and self-examine, you may pull open the stitches. Therefore, do not self-evaluate until you heal completely.
- Complete the full course of medicines : Patients often tend to ignore follow-up and post medications after 3-4 days. Do not do this. Complete your full course of antibiotics regardless of the pain. This would help lower the risk of infections.
- Good hygiene: Wash the vaginal area with only plain water. Use of soaps, chemicals, and/or perfume runs the risk of infection.
- Do not strain: Do not strain your pelvis area at any given time. Be it a bowel movement or a simple cough. Else, you run the risk of breaking open the stitches, unnecessary pain, and infections. Therefore, rather eat simple, balanced, and fiber-rich food. Avoid anything too spicy and fried. And if you still feel bloated or constipated, ask your doctor for digestives and/or mild laxatives.
- No tampons or menstrual cups: If the menstruation persues, use only soft sanitary pads. Tampons or menstrual cups are penetrative in nature and run the risk of infection in case of improper usage. Therefore, as you heal, the doctors advise you rather use soft sanitary pads and change them every 4 hours.
- Avoid heavy exercises: Do not strain your lower body or lift anything heavy that may need your pelvic muscles. Else you may bring a strain in the pelvis area and cause unnecessary pain or discomfort. This could then interfere with recovery.
- Sexual Abstinence: The recovery may take good 2-3 weeks or more. Until you completely heal and are confirmed the same by your gynecologist, do not engage in penetrative sex. Else you may break open the stitches, causing a rupture and/or infection.
*In case of abnormal or sudden bleeding, contact your gynecologist immediately.
What is the average cost of gynecologist consultation for labiaplasty?
A gyne surgeon with considerable experience in labiaplasty may charge anywhere between Rs. 500- Rs. 1500 as consultation fees in India.
What is the cost of diagnostic tests before labiaplasty?
Labiaplasty does not require any laboratory tests. The diagnosis is done through a simple pelvic examination, whose cost price is included in the doctor’s consultation fees.
What is the average cost of medicines needed after labiaplasty?
The commonly prescribed medicines after labiaplasty include antibiotics, painkillers, and multivitamins. Together, they typically cost an average of Rs. 500- Rs. 1000 in India.
Does laser labiaplasty cost more than conventional labiaplasty?
Yes. There is a slight difference. Laser labiaplasty costs around INR 4,000- INR 5,000 more than conventional labiaplasty. This is because it uses the laser tool to trim the extra portion of vaginal lips instead of a surgical blade. This reduces blood loss and chances of infection.
What is the cost difference between labiaplasty at a govt vs. private hospital in India?
Labiaplasty costs around INR 15,000 to INR 20,000 more in a private facility than at a government hospital in India. This is because of the better patient experience and privacy that a private hospital claims to offer. Also, note that labiaplasty is done at very limited govt. hospitals in India.
Is labiaplasty surgery cost covered under insurance?
No. labiaplasty falls under the ‘cosmetic surgery’ bracket and hence is considered as a procedure taken because of ‘choice’ and not ‘medical necessity. This is why it is not claimable under insurance.
Does labiaplasty cost less when paid in cash?
Yes. There is a possibility of additional discounts for all the treatments when paid in cash. However, please confirm the same from your respective hospital or health care provider.
To get a more precise cost of labiaplasty, a list of your nearest hospitals, and the best gyne surgeons in your city, please call us directly.
You can also book a free appointment with our best gyne surgeons online/ offline by simply clicking on our ‘Book Free Appointment’ tab. Consult now.