About the treatment:
Tonsillectomy is an outpatient procedure which means the patients generally do not require more than 1-day hospitalization if the doctor does not suspect any complication. The patient is first given anesthesia before the surgery. Then, the surgeon makes a small incision to fully remove the lymphoid tissues to prevent tonsillitis from occurring again. While some patients prefer non-surgical treatment, tonsillectomy is a highly advanced surgery to get rid of tonsillitis for long-term benefits.
There are several techniques used by the ENT surgeon to effectively ablate tonsils with minimal bleeding to ensure a faster recovery. The surgeon may use heat, ultrasonic vibrations, lasers, or scalpel to get rid of tonsils and ensure no major blood loss consecutively.
What is the OT time for Tonsillectomy?
The surgery time for a tonsillectomy is around 30 to 45 minutes. However, the OT time can vary depending on the severity of the disease, the medical health of the patient, and the technique used during tonsillectomy.
Is Tonsillectomy surgery painful?
No, tonsillectomy is not a painful surgery since it is done under anesthesia. The patient is administered with local or general anesthesia before the procedure to ensure a painless experience. However, the patient may feel slight pain and discomfort around the surgical site as the effect of anesthesia wears off.
Can tonsils grow back after tonsil removal surgery?
If the lymphoid tissues are not completely removed during the surgery, there is a chance that your tonsils can partially reappear. Therefore, it is important to undergo the surgery with an experienced surgeon to completely remove the tonsils.
When should I consult the doctor for my tonsil removal?
Inflamed tonsils can be mistaken for cold, sore throat, strep throat, etc. These conditions may be related to one another, but may not always require medical attention. Consult your doctor for your enlarged tonsils if you are experiencing the following -
- Muscle weakness
- Stiffness in the neck
- Breathing issues
- High fever (over 101°F)
- Trouble while swallowing
- Painful and swollen tonsils
- Sore throat for more than two days
What factors affect the Tonsillectomy surgery cost in India?
The cost of Tonsillectomy in India typically varies based on the medical condition of the patient, complexity of the deviation, surgical expertise of the surgeon, etc. Apart from that, some key factors that determine the deviated septum surgery cost in India are as follows -
- Diagnostic tests
- The consultation fee of the surgeon
- Type of anesthesia used (local or general)
- Hospital stay (if required)
- Experience of the surgeon
- Cost of medications
- Post-surgery follow up sessions
- Insurance coverage
How do I know if I have swollen tonsils?
If you are suffering from swollen or inflamed tonsils, you may experience the following symptoms -
- Sore throat
- Swollen tonsils
- Stiffness in neck
- Fussiness (in babies)
- Difficulty while swallowing
- Tender lymph nodes on the side of the neck
Different techniques used to remove tonsils
Tonsillectomy involves the following techniques to remove the inflamed tonsils. Some of the techniques used during tonsillectomy are -
- Coblation tonsillectomy - It refers to the removal of infected tonsils by destroying the surrounding tissues that attach them to the pharynx. This procedure uses low radio frequency during the operation which is found to be less painful than conventional surgery.
- Cold knife dissection - A steel scalpel is used to surgically remove the tonsils and the bleeding is then stopped via sutures or extreme heat (electrocautery). The patient is administered with general anesthesia and is asleep throughout the surgery.
- Electrocautery or Cauterization - In this method, the enlarged tonsils are removed with the help of heat. The surgeon burns away the tissue through cauterization. The patient is given anesthesia before the procedure.
- Harmonic scalpel - Ultrasonic vibrations are used to remove tonsils. The bleeding is consecutively stopped from the tonsils at the same time. The patients will not feel any pain since the procedure is done under general anesthesia.
- Radiofrequency - This method ablates the tonsils using a carbon dioxide laser or/and microdebrider.
Is Tonsillectomy covered under insurance in India?
Tonsillectomy is generally covered under insurance by most health insurance companies since it is deemed as a medical necessity. Prolonged tonsillitis can cause severe issues such as peritonsillar abscess, infections, breathing issues, etc which can only be treated via surgery. Insurance coverage can reduce the overall expense of tonsillectomy in India substantially. However, the insurance coverage will depend on the insurance policy and the terms and conditions set by the insurance provider. Get in touch with us to know more about the tonsillectomy cost in India.
Long term outlook of the procedure
Tonsillectomy is the surgical removal of swollen tonsils. The procedure offers long-term relief from frequent throat infections in children as well as adults. Children with frequent episodes of sore throats, trouble swallowing, etc. experience a vast difference after undergoing tonsillectomy. On the other hand, adults with a history of chronic tonsillitis, snoring, bad breath, obstructive sleep apnea, etc., often benefit the most from the surgery. Tonsillectomy not only promises long-term benefits but also significantly reduces the chances of recurrence of tonsillitis.
There may be chances of strep throat and other throat infections which can be eradicated via medicines. Tonsillectomy can be long-lasting if you take care of a few things and follow good practices, like maintaining good hygiene, washing hands more often, etc. Get in touch with us to book an appointment with some of the best ENT surgeons in India for your tonsillectomy.