About the treatment:
Eardrum repair surgery is a modern procedure to repair the hole or perforation in the tympanic membrane. Tympanoplasty is an outpatient procedure which means the patient may not require more than 1-day hospitalization after the surgery unless the doctor suspects any chances of complication. The surgery is either done through the ear canal or involves a tiny incision at the back of the ear. The surgeon takes the tissue graft (usually from behind the ear) and patches it over the perforated site. The procedure improves hearing and the patient can be allowed to swim, which would normally be avoided with a hole in the eardrum.
How much time does it take to undergo tympanoplasty?
The duration of tympanoplasty is usually 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the complexity of perforation. Moreover, the OT time can vary depending on the medical health of the patient, the surgical expertise of the surgeon, and the technique used during tympanoplasty.
Is tympanoplasty surgery painful?
Tympanoplasty is not a painful surgery since it is done under anesthesia. The patient is administered with local or general anesthesia before the procedure to ensure a painless experience. However, the patient may feel slight pain and discomfort around the surgical site as the effect of anesthesia wears off.
What is the estimated cost of diagnostic tests for perforated eardrums?
The cost of diagnostic tests varies from one location to another depending on the number of tests and the complexity of perforation. However, here is the estimated cost of major diagnostic tests that can determine the perforation in the eardrum -
- Audiometry test - Rs. 500 to Rs. 1000
- HRCT test - Rs. 1500 to Rs. 3000
When should I consult the doctor for eardrum repair surgery?
Perforation in the eardrum usually cures on its own but you may experience several symptoms. The tissues of the middle and inner ear are made up of delicate structures that are sensitive to injury or disease. Therefore, it is important to look out for these symptoms and consult the doctor for medical assistance -
- Hearing loss
- Pus-filled discharge from the ear
- Ear pain that keeps on increasing
- Spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Ringing in the ear (tinnitus)
What factors affect the tympanoplasty surgery cost in India?
The cost of Tympanoplasty in India typically varies based on the medical condition of the patient, complexity of the deviation, surgical expertise of the surgeon, etc. Apart from that, some key factors that determine the eardrum surgery cost in any city are as follows -
- Diagnostic tests
- The consultation fee of the surgeon
- Type of anesthesia used (local or general)
- Hospital stay (if required)
- Cost of medications
- Post-surgery follow up sessions
- Insurance coverage
What happens If my perforated eardrum is left untreated?
Prolonged treatment of your perforated eardrum is can cause serious complications that can impact your life adversely. Some of the possible risks of a perforated eardrum are -
- Middle ear infection
- Bleeding from ear
- Permanent hearing loss
- Severe ear pain
- Frequent ear infections
- Formation of cyst in the middle ear
Is tympanoplasty covered under insurance in India?
Tympanoplasty is the surgical procedure to repair the perforation in the eardrum. Perforation in the eardrum can cause hearing issues including permanent hearing loss. Therefore, tympanoplasty is considered a medical necessity, and most insurance companies cover the cost of eardrum surgery in India. However, the insurance approval depends on the type of insurance policy and the terms and conditions set by the insurance provider. Get in touch with us to know more about the perforated eardrum surgery cost in India.
Different techniques used to repair a perforated eardrum.
Eardrum surgery uses different techniques to treat the hole in the eardrum. The procedure involves different techniques to close the hole or by grafting the tissue from other parts of the body, preferably the ear. Contact us to know more about the tympanoplasty surgery cost in . Some of the techniques to cure perforation in the eardrum -
- Myringoplasty - Sometimes, when the hole in your eardrum is small, the surgeon tries to patch the hole with gel or paper-like tissue. The procedure takes around 15 to 30 minutes and is painless. The procedure is done under local anesthesia and can be done in the doctor’s clinic.
- Tympanoplasty - A tympanoplasty is performed in case of a large hole in your eardrum or in case of a chronic ear infection. This surgical procedure is recommended when the infections cannot be cured with antibiotics. The procedure takes anywhere between 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the condition of the patient. In addition, the procedure is completely painless as it is done under general anesthesia.
- Ossiculoplasty - An ossiculoplasty is performed if the tiny bones of your middle ear have been damaged by an ear infection or trauma. The procedure is completely painless as it is performed under the effect of general anesthesia. The surgeon replaces the bones from a donor or uses prosthetic devices to restore hearing.
Long term outlook of the procedure
Eardrum surgery is one of the highly advanced surgeries with more than 90% of patients benefiting from tympanoplasty. Tympanoplasty offers improved hearing without enduring much pain. Moreover, tympanoplasty is done as an outpatient procedure which means the patient does not usually require more than 1-day hospitalization if the doctor does ot suspect any complication.