Hair Transplantation FAQs
Following are the common questions about Hair Transplantation:
- What is hair transplantation?
- Does hair transplantation work?
- What is the success rate of hair transplants?
- Will hair transplant results look natural?
- Are hair transplants safe?
- What is the cost of hair transplants in India?
- What are the different techniques of hair transplantation?
- Is hair transplant permanent?
- How to take care after hair transplantation?
- Which is a better hair transplant method - FUT or FUE?
- Who is a good candidate for hair transplantation?
- Who cannot undergo hair transplant treatment?
- Can I wear a hat after hair transplantation?
- Can women undergo hair transplantation?
Q. What is hair transplantation?
A. Hair transplantation is a surgical treatment of removing hair follicles from one part of the head and planting it on another. The area where the follicles are removed is known as the 'donor site' and where the implantation is done is known as the 'recipient site.' Hair transplantation is a modern and advanced way of hair care and is basically done to treat male patterns of baldness. Hair transplant treatment is carried at dedicated hair care centers under the supervision of an experienced plastic surgeon.
Q. Does hair transplantation work?
A. As stated by Healthline, about 60 percent of men and 50 percent of women experience severe hair loss at some point in their lives. However, in people who undergo hair transplantation, 10 to 80 percent of the transplanted hair will fully grow back in an estimated 3 to 4 months.
Hair transplantation is an effective way to restore hair fall, but the treatment does not work for everyone. Hair transplant is beneficial if you are balding or thinning or if you have lost too much hair due to an injury. Hair transplant can also bring effective results in people who have lost hair due to chemotherapy treatment or other medications.
Q. What is the success rate of hair transplants?
A. Clinical studies show that about 85-95 percent of all implanted grafts quickly grow in the transplanted area. This high percentage indicates that hair transplants are generally very successful.
The success rate of hair transplantation at Pristyn Care ranges from 90 percent and goes above. Most patients who have undergone the treatment have seen successful results from their hair transplant treatment.
Q. Will hair transplant results look natural?
A. Unlike traditional days, hair transplantation treatments give very natural-looking results. The surgery results will not disappoint you if you are in the right hands. However, if you undergo hair transplantation from a talented and qualified plastic surgeon, your scalp will not look and feel like a doll's head.
Q. Are hair transplants safe?
A. Hair transplantation is entirely safe and natural. Medical professionals consider hair transplantation the most effective treatment for hair loss and regrowth. Since the therapy involves no medicines and chemicals that might damage your hair, the treatment is considered entirely safe.
Q. What is the cost of hair transplants in India?
A. The cost of hair transplant treatment can range anywhere from INR 30,000 to INR 1,20,000. However, the cost can vary depending upon the procedure type, the number of sessions required, the number of grafts used, the patient's overall health, the plastic surgeon's experience, and the extent of baldness that needs to be treated.
FUT hair transplant costs around Rs. 25,000- Rs. 50,000, FUE hair transplant cost around Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 80,000, and PRP therapy cost around Rs. 12,000 to Rs. 1,20,000.
Q. What are the different techniques of hair transplantation?
A. There are two types of hair transplant methods:
- Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)
In FUT hair transplant, the surgeon removes a patch of skin from the scalp of the donor area. Generally, the donor site is at the back of the head because the hair is voluminous here and less prone to balding. Then the doctor stitches the area from which they have taken the skin. Then, with the help of a microscope, the doctor separates the skin into tiny follicular units. Meanwhile, the doctor makes tiny, single holes in the transplanted area. Finally, the hair grafts prepared are placed into these holes made in this area.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
Unlike the FUT treatment, in FUE technique of hair transplant, the doctor takes the hair follicles from the donor site rather than taking a patch of skin. Then, using a specialized tool, the plastic surgeon harvests the hair follicles from the back of the head in the receiving area. This creates a fuller, natural hairline. As there is no removal of tissues from the donor area, there is no need for any stitches.
Q. Is hair transplant permanent?
A. Yes, hair transplantation results are permanent if done on a healthy scalp and under the supervision of a trained doctor who can rule out the potential risks and complications. However, the results might not be permanent if the patient suffers from other medical disorders that can cause hair loss. Ideally, the results of a hair transplant are visibly permanent or quite long-lasting.
Q. How to take care after hair transplantation?
A. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you take care after hair transplantation:
- To take care of the surgical wound-
- Do not wash the hair in the first 48 hours of hair transplantation.
- Do not use hair dryers until the area is completely healed.
- Gently apply 2-3 pieces of gauze with saline solution for the next few days after the treatment.
- Apply Polysporin or other soothing ointments in the donor area. Make sure to consult with the plastic surgeon before doing the same.
Other tips for post-hair transplantation care:
- Do not put the head directly under the shower. The pressure from the showerhead can disturb the implanted follicles.
- Be very gentle while washing your hair. Use a mug or other container to pour water on your head.
- There might be mild pain and discomfort after the hair transplantation procedure for a few days. Take the prescribed medicines to get relief.
- After the surgery, avoid taking alcoholic drinks.
- Don’t go swimming for at least a month or two. It is to protect the scalp from salt, dirt, and chlorine.
Q. Which is a better hair transplant method - FUT or FUE?
A. What might be better for one individual might not be practical for someone else. In any case, the best person who can help you understand and evaluate whether FUT or FUE will be better for you is your plastic surgeon. Here are a few points that may help you make a decision before visiting your doctor:
- FUE is comparatively more expensive than FUT.
- Hair transplant in large areas is possible with FUT but not with FUE.
- Stitches are required in FUT hair transplantation but not in FUE.
- Visible scarring may be present at the back of the head in the FUT hair transplant method, but in the case of FUE, one might see only tiny dot-like scars.
Q. Who is a good candidate for hair transplantation?
A. Hair transplantation is effective and safe, but not for all. Not everyone is a good candidate for hair transplant surgeries. To be a good candidate for hair transplantation, the person needs to have very realistic expectations.
Ideally, the following are considered good candidates for hair transplant treatment:
- Men who have been losing their hair for more than 5 years or more due to male pattern baldness.
- Men who have suffered from male pattern baldness, whose pattern has stabilized, and who wants to add more hair to look more youthful.
- Men who have lost hair due to burns, trauma or other head injuries.
- Men who have lost hair due to any cosmetic procedure.
Q. Who cannot undergo hair transplant treatment?
A. People with advancing age are not ideal candidates for hair transplantation.
People who do not have hair from birth cannot achieve adequate results from hair transplant treatment because they will not have hair follicles that are required for the treatment.
Those under 24 years of age cannot undergo hair transplant treatment. However, most experts consider 24 years as the recommended and ideal age for hair transplantation.
Those who react to anesthesia should not opt for hair transplantation.
Individuals who have blood-borne disease/ illness such as Hepatitis C or HIV are not considered as promising candidates for hair transplants.
Q. Can I wear a hat after hair transplantation?
A. Yes, wearing a hat is considered safe. But not immediately. You should wait for at least 10-14 days or until your grafts are permanently anchored before your start wearing a hat. Wearing a hat immediately after hair transplantation can get your hair damaged, compressed and displaced.
Q. Can women undergo hair transplantation?
A. Yes. Women can very well opt for a hair transplant, but the hair & scalp condition needs to warrant it. Hair transplantation is not a treatment that is effective just for men. The number of women who get their hair transplanted is less than men, but the outcome and the effectiveness mostly remain the same for both genders.