What is Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast reduction surgery is implemented to reshape and reduce the size of your breasts by removing some breast skin and tissues. Breast tissues will be removed in accordance with how much size of the breast patient wants to reduce.
The procedure of surgically reducing breast size is called as reduction mammoplasty. The surgery can also reduce the size of areola (dark skin surrounding the nipple). It changes different dimensions of the breast-size, shape, weight and adds firmness to breasts.
For breast reduction surgery, you need to consult a surgeon and tell him about your past medical history. You should also inform doctor if you had undergone any surgery previously to remove lump from your breast. The surgeon may also ask you about the reason why you are opting for reduction mammoplasty.
Why is Breast Reduction Surgery Required?
There could be several reasons why women undergo reduction mammoplasty. Here are few of them:
- Large and heavy breasts make the women feel uncomfortable. They can cause neck and back pain and posture problems. Heavy breasts need good support to prevent them from sagging and hence, the constant pull of bra straps can leave indentations on the shoulders and back. Thus, reduction mammoplasty can prove to be useful in most of the cases by eliminating shoulder and neck pain.
- Women with large breasts can find it awkward and uncomfortable to participate in most of the sports activities; especially the ones that require extensive running. Hence, to avoid such issues, women prefer reduction mammoplasty.
- Another issue which can cause women to undergo reduction mammoplasty could be enhancement of appearance. Teenagers and women find it extremely uncomfortable and become very conscious due to unwelcome attention towards their large breasts. Also, wearing swimsuits and other kind of clothing that fits well at the bust area are avoided by the women who have large breasts. After reduction mammoplasty, women can wear these kind of clothes without getting unwanted attention and that could be the reason why they undergo this surgery.
Doctor will advise you to undergo reduction mammoplasty only if you are in good physical shape. This will help the patient in recovery and healing process. Also, you need to take care of your health and consume healthy diet so that your vitamins and minerals level fits in normal range.
Iron rich foods will help in blood formation and there would be good level of hemoglobin in your body before you undergo the surgery. It will help you in combating loss of blood that takes place during the surgery.
Consume fresh green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits and whole grains so that your health is in good condition prior to the surgery.
Post surgery, one has to practice lots of precautions. It's better to get few things ready before the surgery so that you don't have to exert yourself post surgery to meet your needs. Following are few things you need to get ready before surgery:
- Make arrangements for blood transfusion in case any alarming situation arises
- Have ice stocked up in your refrigerator
- Clean towels and wash cloths
- Comfortable T-shirts or blouses
- Clean gauze
- Ointments and creams that have been recommended by your doctor to apply over the site of incision post surgery
- Request your family members or friends to stay with you at least on the first night post surgery
- Make arrangements to go home post surgery
- If you have medical insurance, you need to complete certain formalities and arrange your finance accordingly.