Women mostly opt for the breast reduction surgery due to excessively large breasts or macromastia. It leads to severe neck, back, and shoulder pain. As there are no other methods available to reduce the size of breasts, surgery is the only option. The surgery requires 24-hour hospitalization so that the doctor can monitor the patient’s health and keep an eye on post-surgery complications.
Many people believe breast reduction is a cosmetic surgery, and these procedures are often expensive. However, breast reduction is an affordable treatment that has both cosmetic and medical benefits. Due to the medical nature of the surgery, the patient can get a claim from the insurance provider and get the surgery cost covered under the plan.
Factors That Affect Breast Reduction Surgery Cost in India
There are various factors that influence the cost of breast reduction surgery. Here we are mentioning the key factors-
- The Patient’s Profile- Every patient has specific needs when it comes to reducing breast size. Some patients may wish to reduce their breast size significantly, while others may feel only a minor reduction is needed. Depending on the amount of fat and glandular tissues that need to be removed, the cost of surgery will vary.
- Surgeon’s Fee- The expertise and experience of the breast surgeon will also determine how much breast reduction will cost. A highly experienced surgeon who has performed numerous surgeries successfully is likely to have more knowledge and superior skills than a less experienced one. Thus, he/she is likely to charge more for consultation and to perform the surgery.
- City & Choice of Hospital- The cost of medical care across India varies based on the quality of life in a particular city. Thus, the cost in metro cities will be higher than in Tier-I and Tier-II cities. Along with that, the price will also vary depending on the type of hospital. Typically, the treatment cost is higher in super-specialty hospitals compared to multi-specialty hospitals.
- Technique Used- The technique for breast reduction is chosen by the doctor after discussing the patient’s goal. The techniques involve liposuction, vertical reduction, and anchor reduction. Each technique costs slightly different, which will impact the overall treatment expense.
- Hospitalization Expense- During the hospitalization, the patient has to bear room rent, ICU charges, OT fees, medical consumables, nursing fees, and other expenses. The longer the hospitalization, the higher the expense will be.
- Pre and Post-surgery Medications- The doctor will prescribe some medications to reduce the risk of post-surgery complications. These medications may also increase the cost of breast reduction surgery.
Other than the factors mentioned above, some other expenses will add to the cost of treatment, such as compression garments, follow-up consultations, travel expenses, etc. Having an estimate of breast reduction surgery cost will give an idea of how the patient needs to adjust their budget.