Hymenoplasty Surgery Procedure, Recovery Time & Complications
Hymenoplasty Surgery is a simple procedure that is performed to restore or build a torn hymen. This procedure is also known as hymenorrhaphy or hymen restoration surgery. The procedure involves stitching the broken fragments of a ruptured hymen together with dissolvable stitches and minute sutures. This surgery is performed using local anesthesia and aims at reconstructing a perforated hymen without any scars. Hymenoplasty surgery is a quick daycare procedure that takes not more than 30-60 minutes.
The hymen usually gets broken during the first sexual intercourse, but it can also get torn due to physical activities such as riding a bicycle, swimming, horse riding, gymnastics, or physical trauma.
Why is Hymenoplasty Surgery Required:-
There are a number of reasons why a woman may want a hymen reconstruction surgery:-
- Cultural reason:- In most cultures or religions, an unbroken hymen denotes the purity of the women. A hymen can be torn during sexual intercourse or any physical activity. Having cosmetic surgery to restore the hymen is a way of preserving virginity and society's notion of purity.
- Sexual Assault:- Hymenoplasty is often sought by women who are victims of sexual assault. For them, the surgical treatment is the only way to bury the dark episode of their life. Hymenoplasty helps in repairing the psychological damage, empowering themselves, and helping them cope up mentally.
- New beginning:- When a woman starts a relationship with a new partner, she wishes to enter the same with an intact hymen that would function like an unruptured hymen.
Before the hymenoplasty surgery, the doctor is likely to conduct a physical examination. There are a few other things that your surgeon may ask you to do:-
- 10 days before the surgery, you have to stop taking birth control pills.
- Your surgeon may ask you to keep a check on your medications and allergic reactions to any.
- Patients need to carry an age-proof certificate and written consent document with them, as this is an essential part of the procedure.
- The patient needs to ensure that they do not eat or drink anything at least 4-6 hours before the surgery.
- The patient must carry a pair of loose cotton clothing and a pack of soft sanitary pads that may be useful in case of slight bleeding after the surgery.
Do's in Hymenoplasty
- Take proper care of that area. Keep the area clean and hygienic.
- To avoid any infection and complications, take your medication on time as suggested by your doctor.
- Take shower 2-3 days after hymenoplasty surgery.
- In case of any pain or swelling, use a warm or cold compress for relief.
Donâ€™ts in Hymenoplasty
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol for 3 to 4 weeks after your hymenoplasty surgery.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights after the surgery.
- Do not engage in sexual activity after hymenoplasty surgery until the surgery site heals completely.
- Avoid using tampons. Instead, you can use hygiene pads.
- Avoid diving into water pools for a few a few weeks after the surgery.
Preparation for hymenoplasty:-
The patient is generally advised to get hospitalized one day prior to the surgery. This gives the doctor enough time to prepare for the surgery and it helps the patient to get comfortable in the hospital environment where she will be operated on. The patient is advised to eat very bland food. After dinner on the night before surgery, she is not supposed to eat or drink anything till after surgery.
What happens in Hymenoplasty Surgery?
Typically, hymenoplasty is performed by a gynecologist under local anesthesia. The hymen is repaired by reuniting the remaining torn tags. A self-dissolvable suture is used to join the broken hymen tags, which dissolve within 15-21 days after surgery. In the aftermath of the procedure, patients are advised to always clean the area and apply the prescribed ointment frequently. It is important for patients to maintain good hygiene after surgery and to wear loose-fitting clean clothes.
The basic technique is to sew up the broken hymen. The sutures get dissolved in a few days. It is not required to visit a doctor especially to remove sutures. Local anesthesia is given to reduce discomfort and pain during the hymenoplasty procedure. Approximately, this procedure takes around 30-60 minutes. Once the procedure is completed, the patient can go home and within a few weeks, the patient will be recovered.
Mild discomfort may be treated with oral pain medication for a few days. Wound care consists of gentle irrigation after urination and patting after defecation. You can take shower the next day, and should not use public pools, hot tubs, and saunas for 4 weeks. If you start your menstrual cycle, it is recommended you avoid using tampons for your next 1-2 cycles to avoid irritation of the incisions while they are healing. At least a couple of days should be taken off work or arranged to work from home during this time. Aggressive physical activity should be avoided for at least a week or two after surgery. Sexual intercourse should be avoided for approximately 4 weeks after a hymenoplasty. By weeks 6 to 8, the healing is complete, and no restrictions are needed.
Risks and complications:-
Hymenoplasty surgery is a safe procedure and there are no major side effects. With the use of a dissolving suture, there may be mild bleeding from the wound, possibly caused by walking or any physical activity. Apart from this, common side effects may include swelling in the surgery site, infection, blood clots and inflammation