Arthroscopic ACL reconstruction surgery is a minimally invasive procedure that involves the replacement of the torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) with a suitable graft. The surgery is most commonly performed in athletes, as ACL tear is a very common sports injury, especially in sports that involve a lot of sudden stops and changes in direction - such as in soccer, football, basketball, volleyball, etc.
Factors that affect the cost of ACL reconstruction surgery in India
If you are considering getting ACL reconstruction surgery, you should consider the following factors that may impact the cost of the surgery:
- Treatment city: The cost of ACL tear surgery depends on which city you are getting treatment in, as generally, the cost of treatment, hospitalization, surgical consultation, etc., is higher in metro cities, compared to non-metro Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities.
- Choice of treatment hospital: The patient has to be hospitalized for 1-2 days after arthroscopic knee surgery and 3-6 days after an open knee surgery. Therefore, choice of treatment hospital is an important factor to consider before getting surgery. Hospitalization costs include hospital room rent and other amenities provided by the hospital during hospitalization.
- Severity of the condition: The surgeon will assess the damage and decide whether to perform open or arthroscopic surgery, and decide whether the patient needs an additional procedure like a meniscus surgery.
- Surgeon’s consultation and operative fees: It is important to select a good surgeon with plenty of experience as it reduces the chances of complications during the surgery and improves the chances of treatment success.
- Type of surgery: ACL ligament surgery can be performed arthroscopically or as open surgery. Generally, arthroscopic surgery is preferred as it reduces the chances of complications, provides a quicker recovery time, and provides an overall better outcome for the patient.
- Surgical cost: The surgical cost includes the rent of the operation theater, the cost of anesthesia, and other medications required, along with the cost of other nursing services, anesthesiologist fees, etc.
- Choice of graft: The graft is selected based on several factors like the severity of the injury, the patient’s budget, availability, etc. The most common type of graft is a patellar tendon graft, but other types of grafts may also be used.
- Postoperative care and physiotherapy required: Proper follow-up and rehabilitation is necessary for a speedy recovery. The rehabilitation period and physiotherapy schedule depend on the patient’s needs, the extent of damage, choice of surgery, etc.
- Insurance coverage: Most insurance policies cover ACL reconstruction, especially when it is medically necessary for complete movement recovery. However, the extent of the coverage depends on each policy individually.
Contact us for a better cost estimate for your ACL surgery and start your treatment journey right away