Bartholin cysts are also known as Bartholin duct cyst. They are tiny fluid filled sacs present inside the opening of the vagina. Generally they are painless and soft, but once they become infected, then you may experience pain in the skin surrounding the vagina. The affected area becomes red, swollen, tender and hot.
Bartholin cysts require timely treatment. Not treating the cyst on time may worsen the abscess and cause the infection to spread to other nearby organs of the body. In worst cases, the infection may enter your bloodstream leading to a dangerous condition called septicemia.
Factors affecting the cost of Bartholin cyst surgery in India
There are several factors that influence the Bartholin cyst surgery cost in India. The final average cost of Bartholin cyst surgery in India is defined after considering these factors-
- Fee of the surgeon- The surgeon's fee is determined by the experience and surgical expertise, along with the success rate of performing the surgery. Highly experienced surgeons charge more as compared to those who have less experience in performing the surgery.
- Method opted for treatment- The treatment method depends on the condition's severity and the size of the Bartholin cyst. Small-size Bartholin cysts can be treated through non-surgical methods like sitz baths and medication. Where else, the large, painful Bartholin cyst requires surgical treatment.
- Post-surgery consultation price- Post-surgery consultations are required after surgical treatment to understand the efficacy of surgery and to check for post-surgery complications if any. In some cases, doctors might suggest some medication after the surgery, depending on the condition of the patient. Although post-surgery complications are very rare, still in some cases, there are chances of heavy bleeding, severe cramping or abdominal pain. The cost of follow-up affects the overall expense of the surgery.
- Cost of diagnostic test before surgery- Doctors suggest a few diagnostic tests before surgery to understand the severity of the condition and determine the suitable surgery for it. Usually, doctors recommend tests like- pelvic exams and needle biopsy before performing the surgery. The cost of these tests before surgery can affect the overall expense of Bartholin cyst surgery treatment.
- Cost of pre and post-surgical medicines- Doctors usually prescribe a few painkillers like ibuprofen and naproxen before performing Bartholin cyst surgery to ease the pain and discomfort. Post-surgery medications are very rare, but it is required in some cases, like infection or bleeding. The cost of these medications can affect the total cost of Bartholin cyst surgery.
Bartholin Cyst Surgery Methods and Their Costs
- Surgical Drainage: As the name suggests, surgical drainage is to drain the abscess out of Bartholin Cyst by creating a minor incision. If required, a drainage pipe may also be put to support fuller drainage. It is recommended only when the cyst grows very large or turns extremely painful. The surgical drainage typically costs anywhere between Rs 5000 to Rs. 8,000 in India (the final price may vary basis the choice of clinic, doctor’s fees, medication, and other medical and non-medical expenses).
- Marsupialization: Marsupialisation is the most common and favored method of treatment in case of recurring cysts, that is, when the cyst keeps coming back. For this, the gynecologist first makes a nick on the cyst to surgically drain the pus. Then, the incision is slightly enlarged to create a temporary 'kangaroo pouch' to assist fuller drainage over a period of the next few weeks. This helps push all the infected pus out the cyst while preventing recurrence. Marsupialisation may cost anywhere between Rs. 20,000 to Rs 30,000 in India (the final price may vary basis the choice of doctor, clinic, medications, and other medical and non-medical expenses).
What is the average cost of gynecologist consultation for Bartholin cyst treatment?
A gynecologist with considerable experience in the medical and surgical treatment of Bartholin cyst may charge anywhere between Rs. 500- Rs. 1500 as consultation fees in India.
What are the different diagnostic tests for Bartholin cyst, and how much do they cost?
The diagnostic tests for Bartholin cysts typically include a pelvic examination, swab culture test, or biopsy if the patient is post-menopausal. While the fees of the pelvic examination is included in the doctor’s consultation fees, a swab culture test may cost anywhere between INR 500- INR 800. The biopsy is typically priced between INR 1500 to INR 4000.
What is the cost difference between marsupialization at a govt vs. private hospital in India?
Marsupialization typically costs around INR 5,000 to INR 8,000 more in private hospitals than in government hospitals in India. This is simply because of the better patient experience, privacy, and services a private hospital may claim to offer.
Is marsupialization surgery cost covered under insurance?
Yes. Marsupialization falls under the ‘medically necessary’ bracket of surgeries. The surgery cost is hence covered by most insurance providers in India. However, the specifics also vary from policy to policy. Please confirm the same from your health care or insurance provider.
Does Marsupialization surgery cost less when paid in cash?
Yes. There is a possibility of additional discounts for all the treatments when paid in cash. However, please confirm the same from your respective hospital or health care provider.