Glaucoma is a medical condition where increased pressure in the eye, often called Intraocular pressure, damages the eye’s optic-nerve which is responsible for sending images to the brain. Glaucoma gets worse with time and if left untreated, can lead to permanent loss of vision. In current times, the primary goal of performing a glaucoma surgery is to stabilise or reduce the IOP (Intraocular Pressure). Once the primary goal of this surgery is achieved, prevention of any damage to the ocular structures, especially optic nerve can be ascertained.
Types of Glaucoma:
There are two main types of Glaucoma
- Open-angle Glaucoma: An open-angle glaucoma, often referred to as wide-angle glaucoma is the most common type of glaucoma. In an open-angle glaucoma, the drain structure of your eye looks fine but the fluids don’t drain like they should. This can result in a sudden buildup that exerts pressure on your eye.
- Angle-closure Glaucoma: An angle-closure glaucoma or sometimes referred to as acute or chronic angle closure is a type of glaucoma in which the space between your iris and cornea becomes so narrow that the fluids present in your eye don’t drain like they should. This can cause a sudden buildup in your eye and exerts pressure on it.
Methods and Costs of a Glaucoma Surgery in India:
While some medications can help in treating glaucoma, your eye specialist may recommend surgery if they have little to no effect. A glaucoma cannot be cured and if eyesight is lost, it cannot be restored but a glaucoma surgery can help in protecting your vision and stopping it from getting worse. There are majorly 3 types of glaucoma surgeries:
- Trabeculectomy: A trabeculectomy is commonly used to treat open-angle glaucoma and performed on an outpatient basis. In this procedure, the surgeon makes a small incision in the top of your eye. This opening will be under your eyelid and allow the excess of fluids to drain away from your eyes and as a result, lower the pressure that was being exerted. You will be awake throughout the procedure but kept under the influence of anaesthesia. The average cost of a trabeculectomy in India starts from Rs. 26,000 and can go as high as Rs. 60,000. The final cost, however, will depend on a multitude of factors.
- Glaucoma Implant Surgery: This type of surgery is used to treat multiple types of glaucoma and is also performed on an outpatient basis. It usually takes 1-2 hours to complete. In a glaucoma implant surgery, the surgeon inserts a tiny tube into the white part of your eye to drain the extra fluids exerting pressure on the eye. Once the fluids are drained, the pressure on the eye is lowered. You will be awake throughout the procedure but kept under the influence of anaesthesia. The average cost of a glaucoma implant surgery in India ranges from Rs. 28,000 to Rs. 100,000. but the exact cost will depend on multiple factors.
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery: A minimally invasive glaucoma surgery, sometimes referred to as MIGS, is a procedure aimed at reducing the pressure build up in the eye. Unlike trabeculectomy or a glaucoma implant surgery, MIGS uses a range of devices and implants to drain out the fluid in the eye without the need of any incisions. MIGS is a much more modern method of glaucoma surgeries and like the name suggests, is far less invasive and significantly reduces the risks of any complications. The average cost of MIGS in India falls in the range of Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 1,70,000 but the exact cost will differ based on some factors.
Factors that Affect Glaucoma Surgery Cost in India:
Some of the most common factors that affect glaucoma surgery cost in India are:
- Surgeon’s fee: The cost of consultation fee is something that may add up and present a difference in final cost for a glaucoma surgery. A surgeon with higher experience may charge more than a surgeon with less experience.
- Hospital where you undergo surgery: The hospital of your choice and the amenities it provides will naturally present a difference in the final cost. A private hospital with better facilities and amenities will charge more money than a government hospital with inferior facilities and amenities.
- City where you undergo surgery: The city where you undergo the surgery is one of the most common factors which presents a difference in the average and exact cost of any surgery. Surgeries in metro cities are more expensive compared to rural cities or towns
- Method of surgery performed: As MIGS procedure is a more advanced and less invasive method of glaucoma surgery, it also charges more money as compared to more traditional methods of glaucoma surgery like trabeculectomy.
- Post-surgery care: The medications and post-surgery care can be another factor in determining the final cost of a glaucoma surgery. It is important to call and inquire your preferred hospital beforehand about all the costs and charges to avoid any surprises later on and prepare a budget accordingly.