Bariatric surgery is the standard weight-loss treatment recommended for people who are morbidly obese. The surgery is recommended to people for medical reasons. Many people misunderstand weight-loss treatment as fat reduction or slimming procedures, believing it to be a cosmetic treatment. However, the truth is quite the opposite. Bariatric surgery is strictly suggested for patients who are at risk of developing weight-related problems, such as heart disease, hypertension, sleep apnea, kidney disease, etc.
This surgical weight-loss treatment is covered by all health insurance policies. Thus, the patient can use the insurance to cover the entire cost of treatment.
Factors That Affect Bariatric Surgery Cost in India
The key factors that influence the fat loss or bariatric surgery cost in India are explained below-
- Type of Weight-Loss Surgery- The five most common types of weight-loss surgery include gastric bypass, gastric balloon, adjustable gastric banding, mini-gastric bypass, and sleeve gastrectomy. Each of these procedures is a malabsorption surgery, but their price varies. Currently, gastric bypass and mini-gastric bypass are the most common and affordable types of bariatric surgery.
- Technique Used- There are two techniques to perform weight-loss surgery- open and laparoscopic. The results of both techniques are effective, but in terms of cost, open surgery is slightly less expensive than laparoscopic surgery.
- Overall Health of the Patient- Every obese patient may not be an ideal candidate for bariatric surgery. If the patient has an underlying medical condition that can increase the potential risks and complications, the cost of treatment will increase.
- Surgeon’s Fee- The surgeon’s fee is one of the major aspects that greatly impact the surgery cost. Each surgeon charges a fixed amount to carry out the procedure. And the fees charged by a highly experienced surgeon are likely to be higher than a less experienced bariatric surgeon.
- City/Location- The cost of living and medical care varies considerably across various cities in India. Thus, the city where the patient is undergoing surgery will determine how much the treatment will cost. If the patient is getting treatment in Delhi or Mumbai, the cost will be higher than in Tier-I and Tier-II cities like Jaipur, Nagpur, Kochi, etc.
- Choice of Hospital- Medical care in government hospitals is more affordable than in private hospitals. But the quality of care is certainly much better at the private facilities, which are costlier.
- Hospitalization Expense- The patient needs to bear all hospital-related expenses, including admission, discharge, ICU, OT, room, nursing, meals, medical consumables, etc. Some of these expenses, such as admission and discharge fees, are fixed. However, other expenses, such as meals, nursing fees, etc., will increase with the duration of hospitalization.
- Diagnostic Tests- To confirm whether a patient is an ideal candidate for bariatric surgery, the surgeon suggests a series of tests, all of which are compulsory. These tests include a complete blood panel, chest X-ray, ultrasound, echocardiogram, cardiology evaluation, GI evaluation, and many more. All these tests combined can make a considerable difference in the cost of treatment.
- Prescribed Medications- Various medications are prescribed to the patient before and after the surgery to reduce the chances of complications and improve the patient’s health. These medications usually need to be taken for a prolonged period which adds up to the treatment cost.
- Post-surgery Follow-ups- Bariatric surgery is a one-time procedure, but the weight loss happens gradually over 1 to 5 years. Throughout this period, the patient needs to regularly consult the doctor to monitor their health. Each of these consultations is chargeable and may increase the cost.
All these factors are taken into consideration while calculating the final cost of bariatric surgery. As the surgery is covered by health insurance, it is advised to talk to the insurance provider.
More Information related to Bariatric Surgery
- Gastric Bypass Surgery in India
- Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery