Listed below is the step by step procedure of botox treatment:
- What is Botox treatment?
- Why is Botox treatment Required?
- Pre-operative Preparation
- Day Before Surgery
- Procedure Day
- Methods/Techniques of Botox treatment
- Post Procedure
- Risks and Complications
What is Botox treatment?
Botox treatments are minimally invasive cosmetic procedures. Botox is a drug which is used medically to deal with muscular conditions and cosmetic issues. Botox is derived from neutrotoxin which is produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria called as Botulinum toxin. Botox treatments are given to patients in the form of a series of injections over a set period of time. Each session is over in a matter of a few minutes.
Why is Botox treatment Required?
As is popular belief, botox treatments are done by various people like actresses, celebrities, professionals from aviation and hospitality sectors for enhancement of looks. Not only that but they are helpful in treatment of various disorders other than cosmetic reasons:
- Lazy Eye
Also known as amblyopia, it is a disorder of the eyeball which affects the vision. This disorder tends to reduce visual sharpness in both eyes. This disorder can be treated by giving the child or teenager, botox injections directly into the eye.
This condition is characterized by excessive sweating occurring in a person despite lack of exertion. Excessive sweating occurring in the underarm area is treated using botox injections. These injections reduce tendency of sweating by temporarily blocking the nerves that induce sweat.
- Bladder Dysfunction
Bladder dysfunction or urinary incontinence where the person gets constant urges to visit the washroom is known to be controlled with the help of botox injections. Studies show that 9 out of 10 patients saw a drop in their urinary frequency habits, while there was another section whose urinary incontinence ended through doses of botox injections.
- Movement Disorders
Movement disorders like parkinsonism and cerebellar tumors are ailments that affect functioning of nerves in brain and spine. Botox injections act as stabilizers and relax the muscles wherein they are injected.
- Migraine Attacks
The migraine attacks which give severe bouts of headaches to people are treated with the help of botox injections. The botox medicines are injected into the points of pain like temples, back of your head, forehead etc.
- Cosmetic Purposes
Wrinkles, fine lines, crow's feet, aging lines visible on the face, can be smoothened out with this revolutionary treatment.
In the preoperative preparation period, the patient needs to abstain from foods like cod liver oil, vitamin supplements, fatty acid foods; essentially at least a week before treatment day. Additionally, alcohol, spicy food, smoking, high sugar foods etc., all should be avoided too. Do not be afraid to discuss your queries with your doctor. Also discuss with the doctor about the medication you take on a day to day basis for any conditions like sleeping issues and related aspects. Make sure to stop blood thinning medications prior to a week as that could cause bruising post botox treatment
Day Before Botox treatment
Avoid using any anti-aging products a day before the botox treatment. Also, do not wax, bleach or use any hair removal cream on the area that is to be treated.
- Ensure that you remove all traces of make up from your face, before entering the clinic or hospital.
- Doctor will ensure that you are not suffering from any infection by performing certain blood tests. If any infection is detected, it can be curbed by prescribing antibiotics, before proceeding with the botox session.
- Antiseptic or alcohol will be used for cleaning your skin before botox.
Methods/Techniques of Botox treatment
A fine needle is used by the doctor to inject the Botulinum toxin or Botox drug into the decided muscles. The procedure is over in a few minutes. Unlike other treatment types, botox does not require administration of anesthesia. The full effect of the botox treatment generally takes three to seven days to show effect.
Each sessions lasts for few minutes and the patient can return to his routine activities after that.
Do's and Don'ts Post Botox Treatment
- Try and do facial exercises that will smoothen operated muscles.
- Some patients are likely to experience a slight headache. Keep pain medication handy.
- Avoid going in for massage, spa or facial treatment for a day following the treatment.
- Avoid rubbing the area that has been injected with botox as that may cause the chemicals to travel to other areas of the body.
- It is better to avoid drugs and alcohol for the first 2 days post treatment.
- Also schedule any other skin treatment maintaining a 1-2 day gap between both treatments.
Risks and Complications
Botox treatment has following complications attached with itself:
- Dizziness: Feeling dizzy and unsteady after getting the injection is common.
- Vision Problems: Vision problems like dry eyes, double vision, an increased sensitivity to light, excessive production of tears and irritation experienced in eyes are few of the side-effects eyes experience after botox treatments.
- Pain At The Injected Site: Redness, rashes, bruising and aches emanating from the skin where botox was injected is natural. Some people may feel pain while some won't. The pain element is also dependent on how experienced the doctor working on you is. The more experienced he is, the lesser pain you would actually feel.
- Edema: Swelling because of fluid retention in the injected site is completely possible.
- Bleeding: This is a very minor cause of risk because of botox. As bleeding from site of injection is very minor, just like blood coming out after a needle accidentally nicks your skin.
- Is botox treatment permanent?
A. No, the effects of botox treatment are not permanent. The lasting effects differ from person to person.
- How many Botox treatments are needed before you see results, does it hurt, and what is the healing period and aftercare?
A. As mentioned before, the results will be seen after 3-7 days after the first treatment. Maximum visible effect occurs at about 10 to 14 days. The effect of each session lasts up to three months. Pain is relative and differs according to tolerance capacity of each individual.
- Can I have botox injections during pregnancy?
A. Having botox injections during pregnancy is not advisable
- How long does it take for a droopy eye to go back to normal?
A. A droopy eyelid can return to its normal look as soon as the botox effect starts to wear off.
- I do not like the effects of botox. Can they be reversed?
A. No, the effects cannot be reversed.
- I am getting married, what is the ideal time for going for botox?
A. Experts suggest that brides should ideally go for the botox session a month in advance of the big day.