Manufacturer: Sanofi India Ltd
MRP: Rs. 159.00
Unit Price: Rs. 14.86
Package Price: Rs. 148.58 (Qty.: 10)
Package Form: strip
Medicine Form: tablet
What is Allegra?
Allegra is an antihistamine which is used for treatment of allergic disorders. The drug acts by blocking the release of histamine which causes allergic reactions, like rash, itching, swelling, sneezing and watering of eyes.
Composition of Allegra:
The key medicinal ingredient of Allegra is Fexofenadine which is responsible for curbing the release of histamine. The tablet also consists of other inactive ingredients which act as a medium for Fexofenadine to act. These inactive ingredients do not interfere with the drug action.
What is Allegra Used For?
The therapeutic indications of Allerga are mentioned below:
- Allergic rhinitis
- Allergic conjunctivitis
- Hay fever
- Allergic laryngitis
- Allergic dermatitis
- Insect bites
Apart from the health conditions mentioned above, Allegra can be indicated in other allergic disorders as well.
Side Effects of Allegra:
Allegra is a potent antihistamine and could produce some side effects if used in a wrong manner or if used without any medical indication. Some of the side effects of Allegra are mentioned below:
- Flushing of face, lips, arms, legs
- Itching, redness and welts over the skin due to allergic reaction to Allegra
- Shortness of breath
- Increased desire to sleep
If patients experience any discomfort after consuming the drug, they should inform their doctor immediately.
Precautions for Allegra Consumption:
Patients who are on Allegra should take care to follow certain instructions that will help to avoid harmful drug reaction. These instructions depend on the patient's health and diagnosis. Instructions may vary with every case. Some of these instructions are given below:
- Alcohol consumption is prohibited for those who are on a course of Allegra as it could magnify the side effects of this medicine.
- It is not advisable to consume the medicine with fruit juices as this may alter the medicinal action of this drug.
- Patients should preferably consume the medicine before bed time since the drug tends to cause sleepiness.
- Driving, operating heavy machinery and performing tasks which require great precision should be avoided by patients after consuming Allegra.
- Children below 10 years of age should be given Allegra only in the dose prescribed by a pediatrician.
- Consumption of Allegra is restricted during pregnancy and while a new mother is breast feeding.
Apart from the ones mentioned above, other instructions could be provided to the patient regarding consumption of Allegra. They should be followed in order to maximize the medicinal effect of Allegra.
Allegra is chemically composed of Fexofenadine. Other brands of Fexofenadine can be used as an alternative to Allegra if the physician sees fit. Some of the medicines which can be used in place of Allegra are mentioned below:
- Afexdine Tablet
- Exfen Tablet
- Fenadin Tablet
- Histagra Tablet
- Infexo Tablet
- Is Allegra a steroid containing drug?
Allegra is composed of Fexofenadine which is an antihistamine and does not contain any steroids.
- Which allergies do not respond to Allegra?
Food allergies presenting in the form of nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, more severe forms of allergy like Anaphylaxis and angioedema are some of the allergies which do not respond to Allegra. They need to be controlled with a more intense form of treatment like steroid therapy.