Manufacturer: Jan Aushadhi
MRP: Rs. 6.20
Unit Price: Rs. 0.62
Package Price: Rs. 6.20 (Qty.: 10)
Package Form: strip
Medicine Form: tablet
What is Metformin?
Metformin is a drug used to control diabetes and its complications. The drug works as a result of its ability to increase the sensitivity of insulin to glucose. Thus, all the amount of glucose that is available, gets digested properly.
Metforin also acts on the liver where carbohydrates are stored for digestion. Its action helps to control the amount of glucose which is released from the liver; thus controlling the blood sugar levels.
Composition of Metformin:
Each tablet of Metformin consists of 500 mg of Metformin Hydrochloride.
What is Metformin Used for?
Metformin is an anti-diabetic drug and helps to control blood sugar levels. It provides good results when used regularly as per doctor's prescription. There are a few other health conditions which are associated with elevated blood sugar levels and respond well to Metformin. Some of these health conditions have been mentioned below:
- Polycystic ovarian disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Cardiovascular dysfunction
These disorders do not respond to Metformin alone, in every case. Health conditions like PCOD, cardiovascular dysfunction will require other form of therapy as well. Patients should take complete treatment
Side Effects of Metformin:
Though Metformin helps in controlling blood sugar levels, the medicine may not suit every patient. Some patients may complain of a few side effects of the medicine. However, this does not imply that Metformin does not act on the diabetes. Side effects are associated with therapeutic effects. Some of the side effects of Metformin have been outlined below:
- Muscular pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Lowered blood sugar levels
- Numbness of extremities
On experiencing either of these symptoms, patients should stop consuming the medicine and contact their doctor immediately. The medicine will either be changed, or its dose altered; depending on the patient's health. Patients must not make changes in the medicine without doctor's advise.
Precautions for Metformin Consumption:
Some restrictions and instructions are always associated with every medicine. Following these will go a long way in ensuring that the drug acts properly, without causing any harmful effects to the patient. Some of the precautions associated with Metformin are mentioned below:
- Alcohol consumption is to be avoided completely by patients who are consuming Metformin tablet regularly.
- The doctor should have full knowledge of patient's health history and medicine history before deciding whether Metformin can be prescribed.
- Patients with any kind of liver or kidney disorder should be screened before starting Metformin tablet.
- Regular Metformin users who have any form of blood disorder should be screened regularly for signs of ill health.
- Diuretics and Metformin should generally not be taken together without a doctor's prescription.
- Women who are on birth control, should maintain extra caution while consuming Metformin. This medicine has the tendency to promote ovulation and increase chances of pregnancy.
- Patients with diabetic ketoacidosis should avoid consuming Metformin.
There are many other drugs which contain Metformin and can be used as a substitute to this drug. Some of the drugs which have similar therapeutic effect to Metformin have been mentioned below:
- Metatime Tablet 500 mg
- Metfotime Tablet 500 mg
- Metica Tablet 500 mg
- Okamet Tablet 500 mg
- How is Metformin tablet consumed?
Metformin tablet is usually advised to be taken along with meals to maximize its therapeutic effect. It also helps in minimizing side effects of the drug if taken along with food. It is imperative that the patients consume sufficient quantity of nutritious food when they are on regular Metoformin tablets.
- In which other forms can Metformin be consumed?
Apart from tablets, Metformin is also available in the form of oral solution. Patients who cannot swallow tablets or for whom tablets are contraindicated, are generally prescribed Metformin oral solution.
- Is Metformin safe for pediatric patients?
Metformin is prescribed for diabetic children who are 10 years old or elder than that. The daily dosage is lesser than that which is prescribed to adults.