Manufacturer: Novartis India Ltd
MRP: Rs. 360.50
Unit Price: Rs. 25.75
Package Price: Rs. 360.50 (Qty.: 14)
Package Form: strip
Medicine Form: tablet
What is Galvus?
Galvus is an anti-diabetic drug which helps in controlling Diabetes Mellitus by increasing the secretion of insulin and reducing the secretion of glucagon (a hormone which helps to increase blood sugar levels).
Composition of Galvus:
Chemically, each Galvus tablet comprises of Vildagliptin which is the active ingredient of the medicine. Apart from Vildagliptin, there are other inactive ingredients which are part of the medicine. They help the active ingredient to exert its therapeutic action in a better way.
What is Galvus Used For?
Galvus is employed for the treatment of type 2 Diabetes which is associated with poor insulin metabolism. Pre-diabetes is a condition where patient displays high blood sugar on more than one occasion.
Sometimes, diabetes may also be diagnosed during pregnancy (gestational diabetes) in women who may have been perfectly healthy before conceiving. Galvus can be used in treatment of all the above mentioned conditions, but only after a physician has prescribed them.
Side Effects of Galvus:
Galvus tends to cause side effects if used without adequate medical indication or taken in a wrong dose. Some of these side effects are mentioned below:
- Excessive perspiration and dizziness
- Changes in hunger pattern
- Throat pain
- Weight changes
Development of side effects should be conveyed to the doctor immediately to seek prompt treatment. This will ensure the curbing of health complications and easy recovery of the patient.
Precautions for Galvus Consumption:
Galvus is a potent oral anti-diabetic and should be consumed with caution. Some important points to be considered before beginning a course of Galvus have been mentioned below:
- Galvus helps in maintaining normal insulin levels in diabetic patients, but it cannot be used as a substitute to insulin injection required by some diabetics.
- Galvus will show effective results if its usage is coupled with a healthy diet and regular exercise.
- Patients should take care to avoid consumption of alcohol till they do not complete their course of Galvus.
- Gestational diabetes can be treated using Galvus but only after consulting with a diabetologist or a gynecologist.
- Galvus is not suitable to treat juvenile diabetes. Such cases should be treated only under the supervision of a pediatrician.
- Patients who are taking a course of Galvus should get their blood pressure monitored regularly.
The above mentioned instructions and any other advise regarding consumption of Galvus should be followed well, in order to avoid harmful drug reactions.
Other medicines having similar chemical composition and therapeutic action as Galvus have been mentioned below:
- Zomelis Tablet
- Jalra Tablet
- Vysov Tablet
- What should be done if a dose of Galvus is missed?
It is advisable to take the missed dose as soon as patients remember about it. However, if it is time to take the next dose by the time patients remember about their missed dose, then the missed dose should be skipped. Patients should not consume a double dose in any case.
- What are the drug interactions associated with Galvus?
Certain antibiotics and steroids are known to have a drug interaction with Galvus. Patients should inform their diabetologist about all the medicines they might be taking, before starting a course of Galvus.