Manufacturer: Galderma India Pvt Ltd
MRP: Rs. 113.90
Unit Price: Rs. 5.70
Package Price: Rs. 113.90 (Qty.: 20)
Package Form: Tube
Medicine Form: Gel
What is Benzac AC?
Benzac AC is a drug used for treatment of various skin disorders. It is available in the form of a water based gel used as a local application over the skin.
Composition of Benzac AC:
The active ingredient of Benzac AC is Benzoyl Peroxide which has keratolytic property. The drug acts by disallowing growth of acne causing bacteria in the skin. It allows drying and peeling of unhealthy skin. Benzoyl Peroxide acts via the medium of neutral agents which do not interfere with the drug action.
What is Benzac AC Used For?
The therapeutic indications of Benzac AC have been mentioned below:
- Acne vulgaris
- Acne scars
- Papular skin eruptions
Apart from the above mentioned health conditions, Benzac AC may be indicated in other skin conditions as well. The gel should not be used unless it is prescribed by a demratologist.
Side Effects of Benzac AC:
Benzac AC should be used with great caution in order to avoid development of side effects. Some of the commonly observed side effects of Benzac AC are mentioned below:
- Burning of skin
- Excessive dryness
- Cracked skin
- Bleeding through the skin
- Bacterial or fungal infection developing due to dry and cracked skin
Benzac AC could cause the above mentioned or other symptoms of discomfort in certain patients. Patients should be aware of all side effects of the gel so that they can seek prompt treatment for the same.
Precautions for Benzac AC Application:
Some important things to be remembered by patients who are using Benzac AC are mentioned below:
- Benzac AC is strictly meant for local application. It should not be consumed orally, or applied on mucus membrane like inside of the mouth or nose.
- The gel is not meant for usage in small children, unless a pediatrician advises to do so.
- The medicine should not be used to treat the portion of skin near one's genital area.
- Breast feeding mothers should not use the gel over the skin of their breasts, just before feeding their baby.
- Patients who have undergone recent surgery, should not apply Benzac AC over the surgical scar.
- If any symptoms of discomfort like burning, itching, redness, develop after applying the gel, its usage should be stopped immediately.
Remembering these points is helpful in order to avoid unnecessary complications due to adverse drug reaction.
Benzac AC Alternatives:
Benzac AC is composed of Benzoyl Peroxide which has therapeutic effect against skin disorders. Other local applications containing Benzoyl Peroxide are suitable alternatives for Benzac. Some of these alternatives have been mentioned below:
- Persol AC Gel
- Acnox Gel
These local applications should be used in place of Benzac AC, only if the physician advises to do so.
Benzac AC FAQs:
- In which skin disorders is Benzac AC contraindicated?
Benzac AC should not be applied for treatment of burns, bruises and cuts. The gel will cause discomfort if applied over lacerated skin. Patients who have been diagnosed with skin cancer should not use this gel unless a dermatologist advises to do so.
- Is Benzac AC safe during pregnancy?
Research has shown that Benzac AC may not be safe during pregnancy as it tends to increase the chances of health risks to the developing fetus.