Manufacturer: Astra Zeneca
MRP: Rs. 664.30
Unit Price: Rs. 43.21
Package Price: Rs. 605.00 (Qty.: 14)
Package Form: strip
Medicine Form: tablet
What is Forxiga?
Forxiga is a medicine which helps in reducing blood sugar levels by increasing excretion of glucose through urine.
Composition of Forxiga:
Each 10 mg tablet of Forxiga consists of 10 mg Dapagliflozin. The tablet also consists of excipients (inactive ingredients) which act as a medium for Dapagliflozin to act. Excipients do not interfere with the drug action.
What is Forxiga Used for?
Indications of Forxiga have been mentioned below:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Gestational diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome
Forxiga should not be used without a physician's prescription by patients who are suffering from any of the above mentioned health conditions.
Side Effects of Forxiga:
Forxiga is a potent anti-diabetic medicine and has the capacity to reduce blood sugar level drastically. If the medicine is taken wrongly or without any medical indication, it could produce the following side effects:
- Profuse cold sweating
- Dryness of tongue
- Increased thirst
- Increased desire to urinate
Apart from these, Forxiga could cause other side effects as well. Patients who are using this drug should be aware of their health and report to the doctor if they feel any discomfort after consuming the medicine.
Precautions for Forxiga Consumption:
Patients who are on Forxiga are advised to follow the below mentioned precautions in order to avoid development of harmful effects from the medicine.
- Patients who are on Forxiga should keep a tab on their diet and exercise as well. This helps in aiding and enhancing the action of this medicine.
- Patients should ensure that they do not have an empty stomach for a long time before or after taking the medicine as this could lead to development of hypoglycemia.
- Pregnant women suffering from diabetes should consume the medicine only after consulting with a gynecologist and an endocrinologist.
- Forxiga should not be used to treat diabetes mellitus in small children, without consulting with a pediatrician.
- Patients who experience increased frequency of urination after consuming Forxiga should take care to stay hydrated.
- Patients with other disorders of the pancreas, kidneys or liver should inform their doctor before starting on a dose of Forxiga.
These instructions are provided so that patients do not have to suffer from ill effects due to wrong usage of the medicine.
Following is a list of drugs which have similar drug composition and therapeutic action to Forxiga:
- Oxra Tablet
- Farxiga Tablet
These drugs should not be used in place of Forxiga unless the physician advises to do so.
- In which forms is Forxiga available?
Forxiga is available only in the form of oral tablet which is to be consumed by swallowing whole. It should not be crushed or dissolved in water before consuming.
- Is Forxiga the replacement for insulin?
Forxiga helps in reducing blood sugar levels by eliminating excess sugars through urine. It is not helpful in case of Diabetes Insipidus, in which insulin is not synthesized at all in the patient's body. Insulin needs to be administered externally to treat this type of Diabetes. Forxiga cannot be used in place of Insulin.