Manufacturer: Abbott India Ltd
MRP: Rs. 469.00
Unit Price: Rs. 46.90
Package Price: Rs. 469.00 (Qty.: 10)
Package Form: strip
Medicine Form: tablet
What is Duphaston?
Duphaston is a drug used exclusively for treatment of female reproductive disorders. The drug is an artificial form of female hormone and acts by altering the synthesis of hormones in a woman's body.
Duphaston is exclusively for female patients and men should not consume it, as this may cause hormonal imbalance.
Composition of Duphaston:
Each tablet of Duphaston is composed of Dydrogesterone which is an artificially synthesized hormone. This drug acts through the medium of excipients (inactive agents) which do not interfere with the therapeutic action of the drug.
What is Duphaston Used for?
Duphaston is indicated in the following health conditions:
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- Menstrual pain
- Irregular menses
- As part of hormone replacement therapy
Duphaston may also be prescribed for other disorders which have not been mentioned above. The medicine should be taken only when prescribed by a gynecologist.
Side Effects of Duphaston:
Duphaston performs the function of an artificially synthesized hormone and tends to produce undesirable effects if used in a wrong way or if consumed without any medical indication. Some of the side effects of Duphaston have been mentioned below:
- Feeling low and depressed
- Abdominal bloating
- Swelling of face, arms, legs.
- Persistent irritability
Patients may also experience other side effects than those mentioned above. Should they experience any discomfort on using Duphaston, the doctor needs to be informed immediately.
Precautions for Duphaston Consumption:
Patients who are on Duphaston are monitored carefully for any changes in their health. Some important things to be remembered by patients who are on Duphaston are mentioned below:
- Duphaston should be started only if a gynecologist prescribes it.
- Women who are pregnant or breast feeding their baby, should inform the same to their gynecologist. Duphaston is not indicated during pregnancy and lactation period.
- Girls who have just attained menarche and girls below 18 years of age should not be given Duphaston for treatment of menstrual difficulties.
- Women who have bleeding tendencies or other blood disorders should not consume this medicine unless advised by a gynecologist.
- Women who are on medication for psychiatric disorders should inform their doctor before starting on a course of Duphaston.
- Those who are on oral contraceptives should not consume Duphaston, as both medicines may hamper each other's therapeutic action.
Following these instructions helps in avoiding undesirable side effects of the drug. It is essential to follow all instructions regarding Duphaston consumption so that its therapeutic effect is maximized.
Medicines with similar drug composition tend to have identical therapeutic effects as well. Given below is the name of a drug which can be used as an alternative to Duphaston:
- Jigest Tablet
Patients should not switch from Duphaston to any other medicine unless the gynecologist advises to do so.
- Why is Duphaston not indicated for men?
Duphaston is comprised of an artificial form of Progsterone which is predominantly a female hormone. Consuming Duphaston can lead to unfavorable changes in the hormonal cycle in men, leading to health disorders.
- When is Duphaston contraindicated?
Duphaston should not be taken by patients with liver disorders, breast cancer, abnormal vaginal bleeding, ovarian cancer. Other disorders might also be contraindications for Duphaston. Patients should consume this medicine only on the advice of a gynecologist.