Name: Seretide Evohaler 50mcg/100mcg Inhaler
Manufacturer: Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
MRP: Rs. 282.46
Unit Price: Rs. 282.46
Package Price: Rs. 282.46 (Qty.: 1)
Package Form: Packet
Medicine Form: Inhaler
What is Seretide Evohaler?
Seretide is a combination drug used in the treatment of lung disorders associated with breathing difficulty. The drug acts by allowing widening of the respiratory tubes, thus allowing intake of more air and facilitating easy breathing.
Composition of Seretide:
Seretide is composed of the following chemical ingredients:
- Fluticasone - It is a steroid which suppresses inflammatory reactions and prevents respiratory tubes from narrowing down.
- Salmeterol - It is a beta-agonist and allows relaxation of muscles of the respiratory tubes, thus allowing more passage for oxygenated air to flow inside the lungs.
Both these actions help in curbing breathing difficulty associated with most lung disorders.
What is Seretide Used For?
Therapeutic indications of Seretide are as follows:
Apart from the above mentioned health conditions, Seretide may be indicated for treatment of other respiratory disorders as well.
Side Effects of Seretide:
Seretide tends to exhibit the following side effects in some cases:
- Dryness and irritation of the throat due to the inhaler spray
- Increased thirst
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Weight fluctuation
- Menstrual disturbances (in females)
Patients could experience other symptoms of discomfort depending on their sensitivity. Overuse or wrong use of the drug could also lead to these side effects. Patients should stop using the inhaler immediately and inform their doctor if they experience discomfort from the drug.
Precautions for Seretide Consumption:
Any drug which contains steroids has to be used with great caution. Some of the important points to be followed by those who are regular users of Seretide are as follows:
- Seretide should be used only if it has been prescribed by a pulmonologist. The dosage should be followed as per the provided prescription only.
- Seretide is not meant for use of small children, unless a pediatrician has prescribed it. Dosage of the medicine is much lesser for children than it is for adults.
- Use of Seretide is strictly contraindicated in pregnant women, in order to avoid harm to the unborn baby.
- Details about any previous or active health condition other than the current diagnosis, should be known by the doctor.
- The medicine should never be stopped abruptly as this could worsen the respiratory symptoms.
- The pump containing the inhaler should be stored in a cool dry place, away from direct exposure to heat or extreme temperatures.
Doctors may provide other instructions as well, depending on the patient's health. All these instructions must be followed in order to avoid harmful drug reactions.
Medicines with chemical composition and therapeutic actions similar to Seretide maybe used as an alternative for it. Some of these medicines are listed below:
- Esiflo Inhaler
- Seroflo Inhaler
- ForAir Inhaler
These inhalers can be used in place of Seretide, but only after consulting with a pulmonologist.
- What is the correct way to use Seretide Inhaler?
For using Seretide Inhaler, the outlet of the pump is held inside the mouth and the medicine is sprayed while inhaling. Patients must hold their breath for around 10 seconds and allow the medicine to reach the respiratory tubes. After a few minutes, the mouth should be washed to clear any remnant spray.
- What should be done if a dose of Seretide is missed?
A missed dose of Seretide should be taken whenever the patient remembers about it. But if it is time to take the next dose, then the previous dose should be skipped and next dose should be taken directly. Taking a double dose is inadvisable as it could lead to side effects.