Name: Elocon Ointment
Manufacturer: Fulford India Ltd
MRP: Rs. 163.00
Unit Price: Rs. 16.30
Package Price: Rs. 163.00 (Qty.: 10)
Package Form: Tube
Medicine Form: ointment
What is Elocon?
Elocon is a steroid based cream used to curb allergic reaction and treat skin disorders. The therapeutic action of Elocon is based on its ability to control inflammation and itching of the skin.
Composition of Elocon:
Elocon cream is composed of Mometasone Furoate which is a type of corticosteroid. Mometasone Furoate is the active ingredient of Elocon and acts through the medium of other inactive ingredients that do not interfere with the drug action.
What is Elocon Used for?
The therapeutic indications for Elocon are as follows:
- Allergic dermatitis
- Contact dermatitis
- Lichen planus
- Skin manifestation of lupus erythematosus
Apart from the above mentioned diagnoses, there could be other skin conditions for which dermatologists might prescribe Elocon.
Side Effects of Elocon:
Some side effects of Elocon are mentioned below:
- Skin rash
- Swelling and redness of skin
- Tingling sensation
- Pigmentation of skin
- Thickened skin
If patients experience these or any other symptoms of discomfort after applying Elocon cream, they should stop using it immediately and inform a doctor. Prompt treatment of side effects will prevent development of further health complications.
Precautions for Elocon Application:
Some important do's and dont's to be remembered and followed by patients who are using Elocon cream are mentioned below:
- The cream is meant for external application only and should not be applied on the tongue, in the eyes, in the nose, inside the mouth, in or around genitalia and should not be swallowed.
- Patients should inform the doctor about any serious health disorders they might have suffered in the past.
- Before starting to use Elocon, patients should inform the doctor if they are using any other steroid based cream, injection or oral medication.
- Female patients using Elocon should inform the doctor if they are on oral contraceptives.
- Patients with acute or chronic ailments of liver or kidney should inform their doctor before using Elocon cream.
These and any other instructions provided by dermatologists regarding usage of Elocon should be followed in order to avoid harmful drug reactions.
Other skin creams which have similar chemical composition and therapeutic effects like Elocon can be used as substitutes to the drug. Some Elocon substitutes have been listed below:
- Supramom Cream
- Gecort Cream
- Mosone Cream
If the dermatologist prescribes any of the above mentioned creams, only then Elocon can be substituted.
- Why does Elocon cause side effects?
Elocon is a steroid based cream and steroids are known to have some side effects if patient's sensitivity is too high. If the cream is used in excessive quantities or used without any medical indication, there could be side effects.
- When are Elocon alternatives prescribed?
Substitutes to Elocon are prescribed if Elocon causes side effects to the patient, or if it is not suitable to be prescribed to the patient.
- Can pregnant women use Elocon?
Pregnant women should use Elocon only after consulting with a gynecologist and a dermatologist.