Name: Decadron Injection
Manufacturer: Wockhardt Ltd
MRP: Rs. 10.17
Unit Price: Rs. 5.08
Package Price: Rs. 10.17 (Qty.: 1)
Package Form: vial
Medicine Form: ml of injection
What is Decadron?
Decadron in injectable form is used in treatment of many health conditions. The suppressing effect of Decadron is helpful in controlling such health disorders which are associated either with deep pathological changes, hormonal imbalance, allergic response, proliferating inflammation or degenerative changes.
The principle on which this drug works is that, steroids suppress inflammation and immune responses. The beginning of unhealthy tissue changes is always due to inflammatory response. Suppressing this response will avoid a series of events which lead to different types of disorders. This suppression helps in curing many inflammatory health conditions.
Composition of Decadron:
1 ml of Decadron solution is composed of 4.3 mg of dexamethasone sodium phosphate, or 4 mg of dexamethasone phosphate, or 3.3 mg of dexamethasone.
What is Decadron Used for?
Decadron injection is an important part of main stream medical treatment if you are suffering from any of the below mentioned health disorders:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Cushing's syndrome
- Addison's disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Cerebral edema
- Rare anemias
- Multiple sclerosis
Side effects of Decadron:
Like most medicines, Decadron too has a few side effects. Not all of them are seen in every patient, but all patients should be aware of the side effects. They have been listed below:
- Digestive troubles could lead to constipation
- Visual disturbances
- Unhealthy weight gain
- Changes in sleep pattern
- Menstrual irregularity
- Changes in appetite
- Persistent joint pains
- Bleeding tendency
- Recurrent bruising
- Mental health changes
- Swollen and puffy body parts
If patients experience these or any other abnormal symptoms after Decaron injection has been administered, they should inform the doctor about it immediately. Timely intervention will help in curbing the ill effects of Decadron.
Precautions for Decadron Consumption:
Decadron is a steroid, therefore certain precautions have to be exercised before starting to use the medicine and also while on medication. Some of the important things to remember have been mentioned below:
- If you take Decadron injection regularly, consult with your doctor before getting any vaccines administered.
- Ensure that you consult with your doctor before opting for blood transfusion, if you happen to be taking Decadron.
- If you are prescribed blood thinners while you are already on Decadron, discuss the situation with your doctor before consuming both medicines together.
- Do not consume alcohol if you are a regular Decadron user.
- Do not change the dosage or frequency of injection unless your doctor advises you to do the same.
- If you have started the injection newly, observe your own health for any morbid signs and symptoms which were not present earlier.
- Inform the doctor if you have a history of or currently ongoing kidney disorder, liver disorder, fungal infection, diabetes, PCOD.
Given below is a list of drugs which can be used instead of Decadron injection. Their composition may not exactly match Decadron, but the therapeutic effect is similar.
- Biodexone Injection
- Decdan Injection
- Zydexa Injection
- Dexagee Injection
- How is Decadron Injection administered?
Decadron injection can be administered intra-muscular, intra-venous or intra-dermal. In case of arthritis or other joint disorders, the injection can be administered directly into the joint as well. But this needs to be done only by an experienced orthopedic surgeon. Injections are also directly administered into tumors or lesions.
- Is Decadron available in any other form?
Apart from injectable form, Decadron is also available for consumption in the form of oral tablets, nasal spray and it can also be added to I.V. line.
- Does Decadron interact with any other drugs?
Great caution should be taken while taking Decadron injection together with cancer drugs, anti-platelet drugs, barbiturates, Anti-Koch's drugs and contraceptive pills.
- Is Decadron useful for cancer treatment?
Decadron is known to have great therapeutic effect to combat the side effects of chemotherapy. Theoretical uses state that the drug is useful in controlling cancer due to its anti-inflammatory properties. However, Decadron should be used extremely carefully if cancer medication is to be continued simultaneously.