Name: Clindoxyl Gel
Manufacturer: Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
MRP: Rs. 400.00
Unit Price: Rs. 40.00
Package Price: Rs. 400.00 (Qty.: 1)
Package Form: tube
Medicine Form: GM of gel
What is Clindoxyl?
Clindoxyl gel is an antibiotic ointment which is used to treat skin infections of bacterial origin. The gel prevents bacteria from surviving and thus helps in eliminating the infection.
Composition of Clindoxyl:
The active components of Clindoxyl are as follows:
- Clindamycin (Antibiotic)
- Benzoyl Peroxide
They act via the medium of other neutral components of Clindoxyl which do not interfere with the drug action.
What is Clindoxyl Used For?
The therapeutic indications for Clindoxyl are:
- Acne vulgaris
- Bacterial papular eruptions on the skin
Other bacterial skin conditions not mentioned above may also be treated using Clindoxyl gel. The medicine should not be used without consulting with a dermatologist.
Side Effects of Clindoxyl:
Clindoxyl ointment should be used judiciously, otherwise it may tend to develop side effects. Some of these side effects have been mentioned below:
- Skin rash
- Redness of skin
If patients experience these, or any other side effects after using Clindoxyl gel, they should inform a dermatologist about it immediately and seek prompt treatment.
Precautions for Clindoxyl Application:
Clindoxyl is a potent antibiotic and its usage is restricted by some important instructions. Some of these instructions are mentioned below:
- Clindoxyl is strictly meant for external usage and should not be swallowed or applied on mucosa.
- If Clindoxyl comes in contact with patients’ eyes, ample amount of cold water should be used to wash the eyes. Some irritation may persist in the eyes for a while.
- Clindoxyl should not be used for children below the age of 12 years without consulting with a pediatrician.
- Patients who are allergic to Clindamycin should not use Clindoxyl gel.
- Women should not apply any make up over the skin on which Clindoxyl has been applied.
- Clindoxyl gel should not be used over burnt, bruised or injured skin.
Patients should follow the above mentioned and any other instructions which doctors advise regarding usage of Clindoxyl gel. This will help in avoiding harmful drug reactions.
Other skin gels which have similar composition and therapeutic action to Clindoxyl are mentioned below. They may be used as an alternative if the dermatologist feels that Clindoxyl should not be used.
- Aclind BP Gel
- Peroclin Gel
- What is the correct way of using Clindoxyl gel?
Clindoxyl gel is meant for external usage only and should not be swallowed. The gel should be applied on the infected area of the skin and retained for at least half an hour before being washed off. Patients should wash their hands thoroughly before and after applying the gel.
- Can Clindoxyl be used during pregnancy?
Clindoxyl can be safely used by pregnant women as well as lactating mothers. However, if a gynecologist has specifically discouraged its use, another medicine should be used in its place.