Manufacturer: Jan Aushadhi
MRP: Rs. 4.02
Unit Price: Rs. 0.40
Package Price: Rs. 4.02 (Qty.: 10)
Package Form: strip
Medicine Form: tablet
What is Glimepiride?
Glimepiride is an oral tablet used to lower blood sugar levels by acting on insulin produced in the body. Insulin is a key component in controlling pre-diabetes and diabetes.
The therapeutic effect of Glimepiride will be enhanced if patients follow a regular regimen of physical activity and healthy diet.
Composition of Glimepiride:
Chemically, Glimepiride belongs to the class of sulphonylurea. Each 2 mg tablet of Glimepiride is comprised of 2mg Glimepiride and an inactive ingredient known as lactose monohydrate.
What is Glimepiride Used for?
Glimepiride has properties to reverse diabetes owing to its ability to stimulate release of insulin. Following health conditions are known to be controlled if Glimepiride is consumed regularly as prescribed by the physician:
- Metabolic syndrome
- Diabetes mellitus
- Juvenile diabetes mellitus
Controlled levels of blood sugar levels help in controlling nerve disorders, kidney failure, retinal disorders, blood vessel disorders etc.
Glimepiride tablet should not be consumed without doctor's permission. It is very important to adhere to the frequency and dosage only as what is advised by the doctor.
Side Effects of Glimepiride:
Every artificially synthesized medicine has some side effects associated with it. These are the symptoms which occur due to consumption of the medicine and are different from the condition the medicine is supposed to treat. Some of the side effects commonly associated with Glimepiride are mentioned below:
- ausea and disturbed digestion
- Easy bruising
- Dark yellow discoloration of urine
- Sudden weight fluctuations
Allergic reaction to Glimepiride itself is possible. It leads to skin rash, itching, redness, breathing difficulty, swelling or puffiness. Such a reaction should be reported to the doctor promptly and medical treatment taken for the same.
Precautions for Glimepiride Consumption:
Glimepiride is a potent anti-diabetic and therefore some caution has to be exercised by those who consume the drug regularly. Given below is a list of important things to be remembered by patients while they are on Glimepiride:
- Alcohol consumption should be strictly prohibited if regular Glimepiride consumption is required.
- Pregnant women who are diabetic should consume only the minimum required amount of Glimepiride.
- It is important for the doctor to know about patient's health history before prescribing Glimepiride. Patients with kidney and liver disorders should avoid consumption of the medicine unless advised by a doctor.
- Glimepiride increases sensitivity to sunlight. Therefore, patients are advised to limit their exposure to sun and ensure using a sun block lotion while going out during day time.
- Lactating mothers who are required to use Glimepiride, should consume the medicine strictly as per physician's prescription.
These are some important things which all patients consuming Glimepiride should follow. Apart from this, there could be other instructions given to the patient which he/she should follow religiously.
Other drugs with similar composition to Glimepiride tablet (2mg) can be used as a substitute for the drug if seen fit by the doctor. Names of the best substitutes for Glimepiride are mentioned below:
- Amaryl Tablet 2 mg
- Geriglim Tablet 2 mg
- Glypride Tablet 2 mg
- Glucoryl Tablet 2 mg
- Rioglim Tablet 2 mg
- What is the ideal way to consume Glimepiride tablet?
Usually, patients are advised to consume the medicine just before breakfast for best results. The tablet should be swallowed directly without chewing or crushing it. At times, the doctor might begin treatment with low doses of Glimepiride and proceed to increase the dose gradually.
- How does Glimepiride help in controlling Diabetes?
Glimepiride helps in controlling blood sugar by stimulating the release of more insulin. Insulin is a hormone produced and secreted by the pancreas, which helps in lowering blood sugar levels.